Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm relatively performance ignorant and fairly car ignorant in general too!
I was hoping to get some info. I recently sold an Audi A4 (my wife's car - divorce etc.) The A4 was fine but not my main choice. I have a 2002 Tundra for my job that absolutely RULES!!! Is Toyota not an amazing company or what? However, I would never have purchased it if I had not needed it for work. I would rather have had a car. So, I am now looking for a car to drive around in (my truck has a ladder rack and all my equipment etc in it - its also not easy to park in town and not "Fun" to drive etc. you get the picture). I want a powerful and speady car. I have yet to test drive any of these but am considering a USED: Subaru WRX, RX-7, 300zx or a new Tc that has I just became aware of. I would love a supra or new rx-8 but they are out of my price range. REally, the Tc is a little of a stretch. What i want to know is I heard talk of a supercharger and was wondering two things. Is the stock Tc faster than an Audi A4 1.8 ti (which was peppy but definitely not fast) and can I "chip" a Tc or would adding a supercharger be better. how expensive is that? can a complete automotively ignoramous have faith in getting a supercharger added and not have to worry about it causing problems? I'm attracted to this car specifically because it IS is worry free Toyota etc. Thank you so very much for helping me!!! I'll buy you lunch if we ever meet

Alex

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I guess w/ the Audi, it depends on the year... I'm not sure what year, but at some point it jumped from 150hp to 170hp and I believe it's turbocharged, which will take longer to spool than the supercharger on the tC... W/out doing more research, it seems like they'd be fairly close, but if you prefer Toyota & would like a new car, I think the tC is the way to go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Eric@Jun 30 2004, 12:05 PM
Alex, welcome to the site!

Before I look into anything, I just wanted to let you know that I split this off of the other thread since it was a little off topic and this way it will get more attention
Okey pokey. sorry if I was going in the wrong direction a little. I was wondering where it went!
no worries, thanks for letting me know.

Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Eric@Jun 30 2004, 12:14 PM
I guess w/ the Audi, it depends on the year... I'm not sure what year, but at some point it jumped from 150hp to 170hp and I believe it's turbocharged, which will take longer to spool than the supercharger on the tC... W/out doing more research, it seems like they'd be fairly close, but if you prefer Toyota & would like a new car, I think the tC is the way to go
As another option, a friend just suggested the Acura Integra GS-R coupe. It looks pretty sweet from what I can see and has about 200 hp. hmmmm..... A used car like that or a shiny new Tc - decisions decisions .....comments?

and also, what about the supercharger questions - should I not mess around if I don't know what I'm doing (even though I would obviously get it done by a qualified mechanic/shop).

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
502 Posts
You better expect to be referred to the tC if you're in a message board dedicated to that car. Nevertheless, it is a great car that's low priced and can be fully customized to suit your needs.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
yah, keep in mind that once you start adding all the really fun stuff, not that it's great stock, the price starts to jump into the low to mid $20k's and you won't be able to get the supercharger right away, but since it's through TRD and you can have the dealership install it, it won't void the warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Andfx8@Jun 30 2004, 01:35 PM
You better expect to be referred to the tC if you're in a message board dedicated to that car. Nevertheless, it is a great car that's low priced and can be fully customized to suit your needs.
no question. I'm a huge toyota fan. I'm kind of just posting my thoughts to learn stuff from other people's feedback.

What's TRD? toyota racing (blank)? design? sorry, I'm a newbie. I guess the supercharger isnt out yet. any idea when? how much does a supercharger usually cost?

·
Registered
502 Posts
TRD- Toyota Racing Department. At the Scion dealer the salesperson said the supercharger will come out in November and can be installed seperately. It will be covered by the warranty and should add up to 40 or so horsepower making the car 200 hp. It will cost around $3000.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Andfx8@Jun 30 2004, 02:04 PM
TRD- Toyota Racing Department. At the Scion dealer the salesperson said the supercharger will come out in November and can be installed seperately. It will be covered by the warranty and should add up to 40 or so horsepower making the car 200 hp. It will cost around $3000.
Actually, TRD = Toyota Racing Development.

Sorry to nitpick, but since he asked...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I wouldn't get a used rx7 for just driving around every day... if you want a track car, they're awesome, but the apex seals usually go at about 100k miles.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was thinking of a used Audi S4 or a tC (I would've acquired the S4 at an auto auction for a decent price), but I like the tC better, even though it isn't a luxury car or bi-turbocharged and is a coupe. I actually wanted a sedan, but settled for the tC because it was such a great value. The Audi's seem to be not very roomy in the back for me, although very classy and stylish.

If you want a real performance car, get a supra 8); you will NOT be disappointed. The fourth generation ('93-'98 aka MK4s) ones are between 13k and 25k for a low/mid mileage stock car, depending on whether or not you get a turbo(320hp)/non-turbo(220hp), hardtop/targa, auto/manual, etc... on the stock twin turbo setup, you can make over 400hp with some mods.

I wanted the tC for my daily driver, but I also have a third generation supra (MK3), which I love. These supras are actually a lot less expensive than the MK4s and are still adequately fast (200hp non-turbo, 232hp turbo). I ended up doing a japanese engine swap (twin turbo now) on mine and am putting out close to 280hp, not including some bolton upgrades. Anyway, you can pick up a stock MK3 for WAY less than 10k. In fact, most you can get less than 5K. These cars CAN be pretty high maintenance (not nearly as much as RX7s would be), but that helps you to learn about your car and become more familiar with cars in general. Over time, I went from not knowing how engines work to being able to name every part under my engine bay.

If you have time, do some research and read around; ask questions on car forums and you will slowly start to learn and get into cars. That's what I had to do when I first got my supra. Most people on the forums are very knowledgable and friendly.

Good luck!

Here are some links:
supraforums largest online supra community
supras.com for some general info

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by ycart1201@Aug 5 2004, 10:15 AM
I have a Tundra (for work) too! 03 though... they rule! im gonna get the q-logic dual 8 box in the next couple of weeks...
The tC is really nice (better than the Z or the subie...) i'd get it.

Nathan
ycart1201
I don't know if the tC is BETTER than the 300ZX. I was actually looking at the 300ZX before I saw that the tC had come out. I'd be driving a 300ZX right now if I could find one with less than 50k miles on it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55+Aug 5 2004, 02:03 PM-->QUOTE (Zygote55 @ Aug 5 2004, 02:03 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-ycart1201
@Aug 5 2004, 10:15 AM
I have a Tundra (for work) too! 03 though... they rule!  im gonna get the q-logic dual 8 box in the next couple of weeks... 
  The tC is really nice (better than the Z or the subie...) i'd get it.

Nathan
ycart1201
I don't know if the tC is BETTER than the 300ZX. I was actually looking at the 300ZX before I saw that the tC had come out. I'd be driving a 300ZX right now if I could find one with less than 50k miles on it. [/b]
well yeah, i guess what i mean is that i would prefer new over used so i'd pick the tc.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
422 Posts
The tC is FUN to drive!

I almost got an Accord, wanted the Acura TSX---but not for the price, found out
about the tC & decided for the "fun-to-drive,reliable (hopefully),price for what
you get, it can't be beat!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 5 2004, 02:26 PM
the tC is a bad choice as a performance car.......flame on people!
I agree 100%. If you're looking for performance why would you get a front wheel drive car with WORSE than 60/40 weight distro and a 4cyl engine? The tC is sporty enough to keep me from being bored, but I'm not about to take it out against a stock non-turbo supra.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The tC doesn't compare in any way to a Supra, with the possible exception of cornering. Then again, it's not supposed to. It's loads of fun to drive, though, and a lot cheaper. Plus, it's freakin' HOT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts