Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Countless times, people have passed my parked car and looked back and pointed and said something inaudible to the person they were walking with; but once I was on Vine @ Hollywood Blvd and a guy in the crosswalk came over and told me I had a sweet ride and asked how much it was. When I told him "under 20" he was like DAAAAMN. Then the light changed and I had to go.

Also I was leaving work one day and my co-worker saw me getting in and was like "oh my god - you're the one with the tC? I want one sooooo bad, but I bought a new car in 2003 and it's hard to justify" Now she's very jealous and asks me questions about the car all the time.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I got that kind of stuff constantly for the first 2 months or so that I had my car. I haven't gotten as much of that lately, but I still get looks or comments pretty frequently -- most recently the day before yesterday.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
nice. I was getting my first oil change and this couple walks up and says "what kind of car is that?". I told them Scion tC and all the good stuff. He asks me how much and I told him $19k with carpet mats, title, tax etc. He goes "damnnn" Then stares and drools at it for a bit...lol.

Then at a fundraiser carwash (i didnt get my car washed...i dont trust anyone except myself lol) I just backed into a spot and greeted my friends, then one of them says, PAUL! OMG is that your car?! OMG i want that! Let me sit in it!
but then my friend in his 02' 325i (performance package bodykit, i/e/h, awesome pounding system) drove by. I went from :-D to

but other than that, I love driving people in it...roomy rear seats, reclining rear seats...yeah. ok ill stop blabbing on.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
I had some lady at a stop light tell me it was a good thing the light just changed 'cause she was about to jack my ride.

I also had someone appraise my car @ 28k. I think that is a compliment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get stares and questions about the car all the time...the first day I drove it to work, I practically had face and hand marks all over the windows from my co-workers looking at it. People really freak out when they find out the price is less than $20,000. I must say I am very proud of my prize Indigo Ink Pearl.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts

hey, sin hasnt been around in a while. weird. now stay on topic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an older man frantically motioning at me at a light to roll down my window so he could ask me about the car. He asked me what kind of Nissan it was. I said it was a Scion, which I suspect he had never heard of. He kept going on about how sharp it was, which was really cool, considering this is a city filled with really nice high end vehicles.

I've also had a few random people come up after I've parked and whatnot. But mostly, I just catch people staring big time. Then they realize that my windows are not so tinted that I cannot see them, and then they feel stupid and look away. Seeing a tC in my area is still pretty rare, so it definitely gets attention.

God, I'm glad I didn't buy a Civic. Or a Camry. Or an Accord. I never gave much thought to how cool it would be not to have a car that every 5th person didn't have, but I really love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Friday evening I went by the Honda dealership to fill out the extended warranty refund form for the portion I had not used on my Civic by the time I traded it on the tC. I had barely pulled into a parking space when 4 salesmen were walking around the tC, asking to look inside, under the hood, etc. They asked all the stats and the price and there were looks of astonishment at what you get for the price. Once particular salesman who claimed to have sold toyotas for 7 years tried to tell the other salesmen that it was 'just and Echo' with a new body. (I corrected him as to where and what the tC 'came from' and to look it up on the web for confirmation)

While I was there I remembered reading a ScionLife post that was similar and thought I would post up the similarity of the incident.

QUOTE ("TrafficinLA")
I drove my brother to the Honda dealer to buy a S2000 a few months back and the salespeople just swarmed all over my car asking questions and saying things like "Damn, Honda can't beat that price"  I question the loyalty of those salespeople to this day.[/b]

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The plain truth is that, as of right now, there is just nothing comparable to the tC at or near the same price.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ werd.

as far as compliments go, i was filling up my car with fuel two nights ago right down from the office on my way home. i walked up to the guy two pump islands over, so i could be the one giving a compliment and hounding someone about their car for a change. i told him, " you know, this is one of those cars that, no matter what you drive, it just makes your car suck." he says, " yeah, this car has a way of doing that to just about every other car out there."
the new ford gt. there's a car worth a compliment or two. especially having touched one in person now. anyone got a spare 150K laying around?

edit : oh, but he did tell me i had a nice ride. i have never felt so insignificant while saying thank you before in my life.

·
Registered
127 Posts
several months before I got my tC, one of my coworkers got a xB. i thought to myself dam it, wouldn't it be cool if i have my tC now too to show off?! and sure it was, once i got mine, everybody was all over the car asking questions this and that. and the talk carried over several days. and having other tC owners waving at me and me waving back is also compliments in the act itself.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was just at the kwiki-mart gettin some snacks and had a couple of gawkers. I pulled up and this girl at the doorway put her nose to the glass to get a better look. When I walked in they were all "What kind of car is that!?". When I told them "Scion" their eyes got big and said "You're kidding! THAT is the car one? That is awesome! Can we check it out?" So I gave them the tour...and of course they freaked out.

The guy that was with them said something kinda strange...he's like "The only bad thing about these cars is they have a throw-away engine..." I gave him my best "What kind of dumbass are you" look and educated him a bit about Toyota and the Corolla's engine reliability. Once he realized it was a Toyota he changed his tune pretty quick.

I kicked myself afterwards cause now they might go buy one and I won't be the only one in town with a super-pimp spymobile anymore

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have had few people chase me down to ask about the car. They usually approach me when I stop somewhere to pop into a store or something. There seems to be a lot of people that do not know what a Scion is. I am not sure if that is a bad thing or a good thing. Toyota has tried to start a seperate car line, but at the same time it is a real plus to be from Toyota because of their reputation of building solid reliable cars. I still like answering questions about the car. As time goes on, and more tCs get out there, the questions will fade. Everyone that I have given a ride in the car thinks it a far more expensive car than it is. Let's face it..the quality is extremely high, the car looks great and the content for the money is unbeatable. I have heard a few comments about Volkswagen's quality of materials being better. I guess that is opinion as I think Volkswagen materials and design look so out of date. Very 80's. Hey..I love this car and tell everyone that asks about it so! I have had a few cars including, German Fords, Toyota Celicas (2), Subaru, Volvo, BMW 3 series, Dodge Stealth, Fiat Spider, Toyota Supra, Honda Civics (2), Acura Integra, and the hated Dodge Caravan.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Geneo, it's nice to hear such a glowing review of the tC from someone with such varied experience with cars.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by flippy@Nov 23 2004, 03:13 AM
I gave him my best "What kind of dumbass are you" look and educated him a bit about Toyota and the Corolla's engine reliability.
except its the camry engine. the corolla offers a 1.8L I4, same as the celica and matrix.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.