Scion tC Forums banner

Commonly Requested Torque Specs

59K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  trenton2345 
#1 ·
all numbers are listed in ft lbf, unless otherwise noted. if you dont find what you are looking for here, ask someone or pm me, i have every torque spec for evey nut and bolt on the car.

Lug Nuts : 76

Front Struts : center lock nut - 35
top mount - 38
bottom mount - 177

Front Stabalizer Bar : 55

Rear Shocks : center lock nut - 41
top mount - 59
bottom mount - 103

Rear Sway Bar : 32

Exhaust : 32 (every bolt from the manifold back is 32)

Clutch : clutch cover assembly - 14
release fork - 35
transaxle assembly - 'A' bolts - 47
'B' bolts - 34
'C' bolts - 32

Hood : mounting brackets - 10
front catch - 62 in lbf

See less See more
#3 ·
I wished that my local scion dealer would read this thread. I got my wheels rotated and they didn't tighten one of the rears and it fell of in the parking lot at work. I'm just glad it was there and not on the road.

Next time, I'll just do it myself.

late

#4 ·
Originally posted by joshmoney@Jan 4 2005, 04:00 PM
I wished that my local scion dealer would read this thread. I got my wheels rotated and they didn't tighten one of the rears and it fell of in the parking lot at work. I'm just glad it was there and not on the road.

Next time, I'll just do it myself.

late
It's one extreme or the other, eh? I tried to take mine off and could not even standing on the wrench!!

#5 ·
^^ I wouldn't recommend standing on the wrench, as I have actually ripped off the bolt with my foot when I was changing my girlfriend's flat on her '99 Sonata. Maybe it was my stupidity that I didn't wait for the rim to cool down (it was hot from rubbing on the asphalt), and I tried to take off the wheel nut, and since I couldn't do it by hand, I used my feet. Well the whole thing came off, and she had to ride the spare on 3 nuts. She had to get that thing replaced too.

#6 ·
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Jan 5 2005, 07:40 AM
^^ ripped off the bolt with my foot when I was changing my girlfriend's flat on her '99 Sonata. Maybe it was my stupidity, she had to ride the spare on 3 nuts.
bet those were the only nuts she rode on for a while

messing up your girls car= you gets none

and now back to your regulary scheduled thread........

#7 ·
thanks for the public service announcement. that should have been followed with one of those "the more you know" learning rainbow things.

#8 ·
If you haven't broken at least one wheel stud, you're not a mechanic. AMHIK.

Note to self: torque wrenches are good!

#9 ·
Now I know...
And knowing is half the battle!

#10 ·
actually, "knowing" gained 7 points yesterday, ending the day at 3/4 the battle.

#12 ·
think its possible to tighten the lug nuts too much by hand (tire iron)? i dont know if my impact wrench is tightening them as tight as they should be, so i broke out the tire iron and gave each one an extra pull.

see i think im ghetto rigging it. the impact wrench's drive fits on my aftermarket socket for the aftermarket wheels. when i loosen or tighten them, i have to make sure to push hard against them. the socket seems to slip a little, but not enough to NOT loosen them. i can get them off and tightened no problem. is the slipping of the aftermarket socket over the aftermarket lugs supposed to happen? its an electric impact wrench by the way.

#13 ·
Sounds like your socket is cracked. Pretty common with aftermarket lugs. I was warned heavily about this when I bought mine.

#16 ·
I was installing my TRD rear sway bar today when one of the side bolts broke in half. I was just under 30 ft/lbs when it cracked. I still had enough bolt to finish the job, and not leave my car on jack stands for a week, but it was scary. I'm not sure what the deal was, but the bolts are hollow, which does not seem like the best idea. So be careful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.