Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what color would you think looked good with a carbon fiber hood?

im thinking about getting a flint mica tc does anyone have a carbon fiber hood with this color car?

i know the silver mica looks real good with the carbon fiber hood..

oops the title should be hood/trunk*****

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea 06 flint mica w/cf hood and black deep dish rims

·
Registered
454 Posts
IMO I think that the FM would look the best with the CF hood. I'm not a big fan of a light color car with a dark hood, but then again its only my opinion...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Black cherry looks sharp with a cf hood. Hands down.

·
Registered
243 Posts
to tell you the truth, im not a fan of carbon fiber hoods, but i think all the colors look equal with the hood

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Nothing says you can't paint it to match. FWIW, I think most unfinished CF parts look like driving a car in primer. The only exceptions I have seen are wings with the center section left natural as an accent to the rest of the car. Doors, hoods, hatches, gas tank lids, etc. just look like you are trying to show off having composites on your car. Those of us who've worked on aircraft know that it just doesn't matter what's under the paint as long as it's light and doesn't break.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not all of us who work on aircraft. I don't think there's an inch of composite material on a 135.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Then again, the 135's we have are all built from '57 to '63.

Edit: Lousy typos.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
61-665 through 61-674 have composite covers for some of the radio gear, and the radome is certainly composite. Remember, fiberglass is a composite. I worked on almost all of those jets at one time or another, and they are all 135s.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i actually like the look, it would just cost more to paint it if you really cared about looks. some of us are low budget

·
Registered
130 Posts
but if you're on a low budget, why would you spend $300+ on a hood that isn't going to give you any benefits? The whole reason for going with carbon fibre is to save weight, how much weight would you save by going with a cf hood considering the stock hood is extremely light to begin with?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Lance, to what radio gear are you referring? Also, you're absolutely right about the radome. I wasn't thinking fiberglass. We just updated the fleet with a new kind of radome starting last year. It uses a different layering technique on the fiberglass.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jul 29 2005, 06:35 PM
FWIW, I think most unfinished CF parts look like driving a car in primer.
This is what I've been saying since the first time I saw a car with a CF hood. If you want "the look," why not just buy a different color door at your local junkyard and install that? You'll save money and your car won't match, just like with the CF hood.

·
Registered
130 Posts
unfortunately, it's a matter of lets show off the fact that I just spent 400 bucks on my hood but a carbon fibre hood is more of a performance addition and if you're spending 400 bucks on a upgrade, why waste that kind of money on something that won't make your car any faster. In the end, it's all for show and no go. If it was a matter of looks rather than performance then you'd see companies like porsche, ferrari, saleen, mclaren, bugatti, etc... leave their panels as is rather than paint them and add even more weight

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the hood is going to leave the front end a little lighter therefore allieviating some of the weight on an already heavy front end

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.