Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was bored. i want an intake, but dont have the money to buy one. so this came to mind.

has any one tried, or thought of this? running some sort of piping from A --> B --> C ??

A is that plastic cover they have in the front of the car

B would be running the pipe from that hole to just below the headlights...

C is where the stock intake pipe sucks in air

of course this would just be one piece of piping... the purpose of CAI's are to supply cold air to the engine... by doing this, you would do that. I have the TRD air filter, so that certainly would supply a smoother stream of air... and for astetics, you could put some black chicken wire in front of the hole which allows for good air flow and it would stop things like leaves from finding their way to your intake

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Piece of dryer hose from A to the stock airbox snorkel should do the job. And a piece of gutterguard painted black can cover the A-hole (pun inteded).

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ran the pipe.... it looks pretty good if i do say so myself...

as for water intake.. if its raining, i plan on stuffing the pipe in the wheel well so it can't get exposed to any water.... also.. the way i set it up, i just have the pipe pushing cold air to the intakes snorkel... i dont have it directly hooked up... so that should help when its wet...

also i take in the fact that i live in san diego where it doesn't rain hard when happens to rain.... i'll take pics tomorrow when u can actually see what i did

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
installation time: 15 mins
cost: $8.00
what to buy: dryer piping, five star notebook (just that plastic cover part), and some gutter guard

the outside:

the inside:

i do notice a small gain in power at about 3200 RPM in second gear... i think thats the speed where u get a ram effect.. im happy

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay... heres an update on my tubing....

since i've gotten my car i've been keeping track of my gasmilage. my average mpg before installing the pipe was 23mpg.... after installing the pipe im averaging 24.5mpg

now im not saying that a stupid pipe has increased my gas milage, driving styles and weither or not i'm running the ac, and freeway/town ratios are other factors i have to take into consideration.

but i'll make one note that i found interesting. the first 1000 miles, i didn't have the pipe, and i was driving very consertivatly because i was still breaking in the engine... ever since i've passed 1k miles, i've been driving it a bit harder, and it was at 1200 that i put in that pipe... also lately it's been warming up here in SD, so im turning on the ac more than i did when i first got the car.... im currently at 1700, so more testing needs to be done... but initial results are rather interesting

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im just about all city driving
which explains my low mpg.... but its good to know that the tC can get into the 30's

· Registered
16 Posts
I really don't feel you have to disconnect the thing when it rains...I would think those WRXs and SRT-4s suck in their fair share of water when it rains...the exception would be if there were puddles deep enough to reach that hole...that would be a heck of a puddle!!! I would wonder what would happen if snow piled up in front of the car though...but I see you live in SD.

Olds 442s...late 60s, early 70's muscle cars for you age impaired out there ;-)... had a setup just like you have, but with 2 inlet snorkles below the bumper connected to dryer like tubes that attached to the air cleaner housing.

Actual gains...who knows, but for $8, 15 minutes, and the knowledge you did it yourself it's more than worth it. Some of the coolest mods I know are from guys like you that came up with an idea and just went with it.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
hamster, buddy, how do you get that darn cover off? I've been sticking my hand in various places trying to get behind it to pop it out but I don't want to permanently damage anything...or are there just some screws holding it in? I did a search but couldn't find any instructions that made sense to me.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for hijacking.

Btw to be somewhat on topic, I found that the Umnitza c.f. intake I installed yields gains around the same place as your mod, above 3000rpm, so I'd say your mod is effective.

-Ed

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to pop out that plastic cover i unscrewed all the screws of the plastic covering underneath the car.... but then i found out that it was only necissary to unscrew 2 or 3 of them and then you can pull a plastic cover back and pop the thing out.... i believe the panel you want to unscrew is near the middle of the car, close the the jack point, and then you'll just have to stick your arm in there and push out the plastic cover... it snaps in and out of place

· Registered
5,861 Posts
Would the engine have enough vacuum suction to even suck water up about 3 feet anyway to the airbox? then into the engine? I don't think stuffing it is even necessary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.