Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting the injen black powder coated intake. I live in CA and there hardly any rain but when it rains it rains really hard. Im really not sure what to with with the intake. Should i install it as a CAI or a short ram. What are the advantages and disadvantages. I thinking of CAI. I need your opinions.

thanks alot

im also wondering does the AEM bypass valve work with the INJEN intake?
injen also have a hydro shield. which one should i get if i install as CAI?

thanks for ur opinions

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The only thing that I know is that one of my friends had a really bad expiriens with CAI on his 1998 Maxima here in NY!! He got into a deep paddle and his CAI suck some water in!!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You can convert it between Short Ram/Cold Air. Careful though: You're from cali. It's not CARB legal.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have the injen on my car and i say just run it year round as a cold air bc the filter still sits up in the fenderwell high enough that the only way you would get it submerged into water enough to do any damage is if you actually drove the car in water that was up past the bottom of the door. when it comes to some of the advantages and disadvantages a short ram frees up the airflow but sucks the hot air from the engine. cai sucks nice cool air from outside of the engine bay. there is more to it then just that but those are the basics that people go by when choosing which way to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so ur saying its high enough for the intake not to suck up what when it rains?

what about those bypass valves and hydro shield
has anyone used them before?

·
Registered
202 Posts
If the mere thought of hydrolock concerns you then you should not be installing a CAI.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yea, im gona buy the injen, and just convert it to cold air during the summer and then during hurrican season put back to a short ram. How easy is it to switch it back and forth?

·
Registered
202 Posts
15 minutes if you're handy with a screw driver and don't take 91274982175412 smoke breaks like I do.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by uberingram@Dec 4 2005, 10:45 AM
15 minutes if you're handy with a screw driver and don't take 91274982175412 smoke breaks like I do.
shouldnt it be 91274982175412 x 10^12 smoke breaks? unless you get some sunflower seeds, then youd take what, 91274982175412 x 10^-13 smoke breaks?

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
that is a lot of cigarettes. i mean it. how much would that cost?

91274982175412/20=4563749108770.6 packs

4563749108770.6X $5.00(ish)=$22,818,745,543,853

wholy crap, who's loaded now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sorry old post i know. but i just now got back to it. i cant always remember what i do and dont respond to when its this early in the morning. with the injen intake set as a cold air intake you dont have to worry about it sucking up water into the motor bc the filter is high enough in the fenderwell that you would have to drive through a puddle that is a couple feet deep before it would put the filter in water. so unless your driving through creeks and streams i dont think it will be a problem for you. believe me i looked into it bc a friend of mine hydrolocked his car with an aem cai on his. but it was his fault bc he didnt have the fenderwells in and he drove into a really big puddle. then when he realized it he floored it to get out of the puddle but by that time it was too late. his intake filter was also mounted low enough that if you put your hand under the bumper without reaching up you could feel the filter. mine you actually have to lay down and put your arm up behind the bumper to feel it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Guys I have been reading everything on this post so my problem is I live in Chicago where the weather changes every hour... now should I be worried about getting water sucked in?? I am looking for an intake and I have no Idea what to get?? some people say Ingen some K&n some TRD??? What should I do. Also I head of some Velocity Tuner that helps on gas mileage is this a scam????

listen to what you guys are going to say

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a K&N and not the injen or the other ones because it comes with a water-proof cover for the filter, and i live in FL where it rains all the time especially during hurricane season. dont really know if the water-proof covering is sufficient enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.