Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Before all the 'Use the search function' messages start appearing, I'll tell you what I know.

The supercharger and AEM intake are both still waiting for CARB approval. It's a long slow process in which the manufacturer pays money until the California Air Resource Board is satisified with the amount of money the manufacturer paid. Then a number is issued.

However, I think it might have something to do with trying to maintain a ULEV rating on our engines. Personally, I'd be happy with an LEV.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by krzy@Apr 18 2005, 06:27 PM
It's a long slow process in which the manufacturer pays money until the California Air Resource Board is satisified with the amount of money the manufacturer paid. Then a number is issued.
Truer words have yet to be spoken.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Amen to that Brotha!!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
On a related CARB note, there was a damned Jeep Rubicon parked in front of the Costco this morning. Some dealer thing, trying to get people to buy more annoying pseudo-SUVs. Anyhow, the window sticker had an "emissions index" on it, kind of like the energy efficiency tags on new appliances.

The Emissions Scale is measured from 0 to 3.0.

Average emissions index for new vehicles: 0.80
Emissions index for the '05 Rubicon: 1.44

And is gets a stellar 15mpg in town. Yet we can't get CARB approval for a frickin piece of aluminum tubing. Beautiful California, everybody. Hooray.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Apr 18 2005, 06:29 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 18 2005, 06:29 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-krzy
@Apr 18 2005, 06:27 PM
It's a long slow process in which the manufacturer pays money until the California Air Resource Board is satisified with the amount of money the manufacturer paid.  Then a number is issued.
Truer words have yet to be spoken. [/b]
So thats how the Hummer made it through. A car that requires an entire service staions supply of fuel then eats it before it can make it to the next one, gets approval before a 2.4 with a sc. Way to go carb!!!!!!!!!

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
No. Arnold drives a Hummer. That says it all. Besides, a turbo upgrade on a diesel means nothing without more fuel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is my understanding on the super charger and cold air intake, we're not waiting for smog cert. anymore, we are waiting for a little tweaking that TMS (Toyota Motor Sales for those of you who don't know any better) is doing now that TRD is now owned 100% by TMS USA. Prior to this it was a 50/50 split between TMS USA & Japan, by making this swap, the part no longer becomes an aftermarket part per say, and TMS needs to tweak it to meet TMS regulations, I've been told we have somewhere close to 1200 Supper charger kits built and ready to go prior to the change over, but are basically useless till TMS finalizes changes to the over all design of the parts. Sorry to all that are waiting, but it will come soon enough, and remember good things come to those who wait.

~Ben~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.