Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion when putting a cold air intake on a tc in wet road conditions? Has anyone had any problems with water/moisture creeping into the intake? What is the best cold air applicatioin that is the most water resistant/performs the best?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
they all perform the same. as for wet weather, unless you are prone to sinking your ride in a giant puddle (dipping the front bumper) you are going to be fine. if you are really really into erring on the side of caution, go with a short ram to keep the intake as high as possible.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, AEM has that going for them. would it work for splashing, sure, but if you submerged your intake, i wouldnt bet my money my car would still run.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
They had Sport Compact magazine test it. What the magazine people did was simulate an underwater drag race - the NSX they tested it on came out 100% OK.

What caused concern was intermittent submergence - if you were going to every so often dip the intake into a bucket of water, water will get up to about where the bypass valve is and slosh around. AEM's website should have a link to the bypass valve test.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Hydro-shields and Bypass valves also hurt performance. Is it worth paying $300 to put your car's life at risk? If there is slim to no risk then go nuts. I don't think those bypass valves or Socks would help much if u went under water anyway. Splashes of water wont do much so if it rarely rains you should be fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
actually the filter head does NOT have to be submerged...just has to suck in a little water. Which as far as I know, hasn't happened with a tc yet (supposedly the filter head is in a well protected "compartment". But it is def possible. To be cautious (i live in philly so) I'd go with a Short ram setup, the extra 3-4hp you'd make with CAI is barely even noticeable or worth the risk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.