Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when the cold air intake comes out and what the price is. Also, if it comes out before the supercharger, should I wait to have the supercharger installed first and then the cold air intake, or does the order not matter?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't think TRD will allow the CAI (cold air intake) to comply with the Supercharger. I know the 1.8l trd supercharger for the Matrix base, XR, and corolla throw on an engine light when the CAI is used with the supercharger..

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the AEM intake will not be compatible with the TRD supercharger, though it will come with its own matching intake, so the stock intake will be replaced. using a long or short ram CAI can cause fuel/airflow problems when combined with a supercharger, hence the design of one specifically to match.

·
Registered
44 Posts
or...you could get a blitz sus (intake) if that ever comes out for the tc........ it has that pshhhhhhh sound like a BOV each time it engages

·
Registered
999 Posts
Originally posted by 808tc@Jul 4 2004, 07:49 PM
or...you could get a blitz sus (intake) if that ever comes out for the tc........ it has that pshhhhhhh sound like a BOV each time it engages
Ahh but isn't that a bit ricey?

Supercharger is scheduled to be released in Fall with a price tag of $2500.
Plenty of time for me, but I'd wish it come out sooner.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
does the CAI damage the car in anyway going long term? Or is it a safe bet to install one?

·
Registered
999 Posts
It just gives colder air the the engine, so it's good for your car.

But if you live in an area with alot of rain, you better invest in bypass valve. Water going into the CAI will hydrolock your car, and thus broke. Bypass will prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should it be okay to have both the exhaust sytem and the supercharger?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Jul 8 2004, 09:21 PM
It just gives colder air the the engine, so it's good for your car.

But if you live in an area with alot of rain, you better invest in bypass valve. Water going into the CAI will hydrolock your car, and thus broke. Bypass will prevent that from happening.
Thanks, silverx. Another question: does adding the CAI lower your MPG? What i'm trying to do is figure out a way to mod it without jeopardizing the longevity of the car, as well as the gas mileage. This going to be my commuter car, and I just want to add a little cojones to it. Also, does replacing the exhaust system lower the mpg as well?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well i dont know about you guys, but people over at newtiburon.com who are running roots style s/c's are using cai's all day long and its not a problem. since the trd s/c is vortech style centrifigal s/c then cai would be a waste since most cent s/c's just use a cone filter on the s/c it self, well at least thats the way the ripp mods vortech s/c is and my old procharged 5.3L Chevy was.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know the s/c reduces the mpg, and i want to keep that intact, so i'm looking at different options. Does the CAI affect gas mileage?

·
Registered
999 Posts
CAI doesn't affect gas mileage, from what I know. CAI cools down your engine, basically reducing some of the stress?

advocareman, are you from NewTiburon.com?

·
Registered
936 Posts
The CAI will not make a noticeably negative difference in gas mileage, because it allows the engine to operate with a marginally higher degree of efficiency. The CAI itself is allowing for a colder(read: denser) air load to be combusted within the cylinder, allowing for a more forceful explosion. Keep in mind however, that as the computer adjusts to this minor increase in HP, it will dump an ever-so-tiny additional amount of fuel to avoid a lean condition.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ yep, no fuel economy loss is listed, in fact i have heard some people say they have gained 1-2 mpg running one.

hydrolock would suck out loud, so the aem intake we use here has a bypass valve built right in, about halfway up on the intake. right where that foam ring is. yay.

andfx8: you may run a s/c and exhaust together worry free.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jul 11 2004, 01:38 PM
^^^ yep, no fuel economy loss is listed, in fact i have heard some people say they have gained 1-2 mpg running one.

hydrolock would suck out loud, so the aem intake we use here has a bypass valve built right in, about halfway up on the intake. right where that foam ring is. yay.

andfx8: you may run a s/c and exhaust together worry free.
I envy the California tC buyers, that 19" TRD wheel is only availible out there, due to the blank stare my dealer out here gives me when I ask about them haha.

·
Registered
48 Posts
in fact, most cars get an improved gas milage do to the computer's learnig abilitys, @ least it dose that on the tiburon & any subaru....

the computer runs of a set of algorythms (sp?) and those mathimatical formula use the data comming in from the scensors to control the moter. if the scensors and the computer can handle it, the car will gladly take any mod that allows the moter to breath better and under WOT get u the HP u want and at highway cruse, the MPG u want.

in geniral as long as u don't F*** w/ the fule injection the car will GAINE MPG as it should now take the car less fule to genorate the nesisary HP to move the car. less fule = more efficient = better MPG.

in reguards to the S/C not shure yet, as it is not out yet, and i havent read much about a vortec style S/C... the only matirial that i'v read was about RIPPMOD's new kit for the 03 tiburon.... (it's the G/F's car)

hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts