Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read from multiple sources about cold air induction systems...Some say it will rob from low end tor, others say it helps in the low end. Some sources say it adds 7-25 hp. What are the real benifits? Does anyone out there have one on there Tc?

·
Registered
619 Posts
First off welcome to the forum.
HA! Beat ya to it Eric.
Any way, There is now way you are getting 7-25wheel hp. Maybe if there is a low pressure turbo or SC attached to the other end. I am guessing around 3-5 Range. I have had them on a few of my old CRX's. From what i understand they give you more mod range gains. But our cars having so much tourque in the mid range already i would think it would only accentuate that even more. Regardless its a great bolt on. I'll be getting on when someone else other than AEM makes one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the responses. Used to have a Honda Del Sol. I've only had my Tc for 1 day... and I LOVE it!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the AEM intake is rated for a 7-10 pony gain. but the real benefit is certainly in the mid range of the tach. pulling around someone on the freeway is just that much easier. for a good combo, back it with the TRD (borla) exhaust. i run that same set up on my xB at work, sounds very good, and it pulls harder.
my $.02? if you arent going to supercharge your tC - run the intake and exhaust.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
oh, oops. i suck a lot. welcome to the site, hope you love your tC as much as i love mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi all, to start

ANY mod wich alows your engine to breath better will increase it's preformance... just as to how MUCH gain you get depends on many factors, and it is difrent on every car (even between that of the same model and production date/origin) that is one of the only reasons y it is better to go with a name brand, (injen, AEM etc......) because those guys (usualy) put in alot of money and time in R&D to bring u the best products that they can make.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh and one more thing just as to where that power gain comes in on the RPM band will vary alot as well.

do your reserch, alot of times producers will post PEEK HP gain, but that may do nothing for u if it's all the way up near red line.... think B4 u buy...

·
Registered
48 Posts
sup?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jul 10 2004, 12:33 PM
the AEM intake is rated for a 7-10 pony gain. but the real benefit is certainly in the mid range of the tach. pulling around someone on the freeway is just that much easier. for a good combo, back it with the TRD (borla) exhaust. i run that same set up on my xB at work, sounds very good, and it pulls harder.
my $.02? if you arent going to supercharge your tC - run the intake and exhaust.
Inevitable god, once again, thanks for your always-helpful tips. I am going to do just that possibly a few months after i get my TC. I'm not gonna get the s/c, b/c it's gonna be my commuter car, and i need good mpg w/ these freakin gas prices.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
right on, i think youll really like that set up. you doing the install yourself?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
not sure yet, i know it'll be cheaper if i do it myself, is it a tough project or can just about anyone do it? My dad's a mechanic engineer, so he'll help me out if I need. What do you think?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
not difficult at all. if you are handy with a wrench and can read directions you got it down. drag pops out there and tell him to lend you a hand if you need it, save the dealer install cost. but, if you have any questions about it after reading the directions and looking at the procedure (or after starting), let someone else do it. just depends on your level of comfort doing installs on your brand new car, but really, its pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
AWESOME. I'm pretty handy, and my dad's amazing, so I'm gonna do it myself. Where do you think is the best place to buy these parts to install?

·
Registered
38 Posts
CAI?..it might physically fit but i heard the TRD supercharger will include its own intake to be used with it that would replace the stock air box and would perform better than a CAI. on 03 corollas/matrix with TRD blower, the AEM did not fit but the TRD one did. people running that TRD blower and CAI who did not have access to high octane gas either were running lean or had it corrected by a ECU piggyback.
ps..this is all if i remember the info correctly

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats strange....on Honda's the Jackson Racing SC works with the AEM CIA. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts