Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've done the wheel and tire upgrade and the next obvious step is coilovers and sways.

First, I have an auto if that makes any recommendation difference.

The obvious choice on sways is Hotchkis so I'm more interested in coilover recommendations (or just shocks and springs if that's what is determined to be best). This isn't going to be a track car and I'm not likely to be adjusting it every weekend but I do drive to the mountains a lot and the more spirited I can make the drive, the better. I don't plan on dropping the car more than 1.5 inches so I think most of the coilovers fit into that area as would the TRD shock/spring combo.

Anyway, I know the of the following coilover choices:

Tein Basic - ~$779 (1.4"-2.7"F/1.4"-2.6"R) (392 lb/in F/ 559 lb/in R)
Tein SS - ~$1079 (same as basic) (same as basic)
Tein SS/P - ~$1189 (same as basic) (same as basic)
Progress - ~$979 (1"-3"F/1"-3"R) (250 lb/in F/ 350 lb/in R)
H&R - ~$1050 (.75"-2.7"F/.75"-2"R) (no idea)
Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Type II - ~$879 (3/8"-2"F/ 3/8"-2 3/8"R) (336 lb/in F/ 448 lb/in R)
Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC - ~$1059 (same as Type II) (same as Type II)

This is also my daily driver. If you have experience with any of these, please chime in.

Edit: I read that US springs are normally measured in 50 lb/in increments so the real numbers for the Tein are probably 400 F and 550 R and the Tanabe are probably 350 F and 450 R.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
they are stiff. i was driving his car around for a few days while mine was in the shop. stiff, yes. too stiff to handle, i didnt think so. still, that is a very relative term, i realize.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I think the rates on the Tanabe are a pretty good compromise, but you can order Teins with softer springs if you want to. I've been pretty convinced if I could get the geometry fixed, I could lower the spring rate 25% and have a much better ride (more wheel compliance, but still plenty of roll resistance).

I know Rick is also working on this, but my time has been sucked up with lots of other stuff, so I haven't done all the homework I need to complete before I really get a good fix.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In that case would you get the cheaper model or the more expensive one? The difference is the more expensive one has helper springs.

Per Tanbabe:

"Helper springs assist with rebound stability, ride comfort and keep the main coil spring seated. Preload of the main spring can also be set to zero, for maximum comfort and suspension travel."

I wonder if Ed knows the spring rates on the H&R option? It's looking like they use their sport springs which they say are "25-30% stiffer than stock". Stock is roughly 150 lb/in F and 250 lb/in R so that would put these around 200 lb/in F and 325 lb/in R (on the high side)?

Based on height adjustability I guess I should only be considering the H&R, the Progress, and the Tanabe since the min drop on the Tein is 1.4".

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Tein Basic's would be probally good for you. you said you dont want it too stiff, and you dont want it as a race car but you want it lower. well you get all that with these. i have not driven them but i think your talking a little bit more of a basic coilover then a raceing coilover.

and you save money for other things

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Sorry Speeed, you don't know what you're talking about here. The spring rates on all the Teins are the same. They are very stiff. The only differences are in damping adjustability and whether they have adjustable camber hats or not. They're all very stiff.

FWIW, there are NO racing coilovers for a tC. No one is seriously racing them, and there is no class where they are competitive in anything like a stock form. If you really want to talk racing shocks, you need to talk Moton, Penske, or Ohlins. AFAIK, none of these companies are even considering a tC compatible configuration. There's certainly nothing listed for Scion on any of their sites. From what I have been told (I have not priced them myself), you can expect to pay at least $4k for four shocks from any of these manufacturers. Springs cost more. These are true competition units, not poseur suspension by Tein, Progress, or the rest of the names you know from the import magazines.

And yes, I am the first to say I know I have poseur suspension on my car. It is more than adequate for street use.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 9 2006, 07:30 PM
And yes, I am the first to say I know I have poseur suspension on my car. It is more than adequate for street use.
indeed.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No one is seriously racing these cars.. but that doesn't stop anyone from road racing every now and again!

Apparently, the tC, with a few mods, is pretty competitive on road tracks, given that it's racing against relatively like cars. In this case, The_Instigator beat a few 330i's. I'd say that's good company to be in.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
And again, he beat the drivers of the 330i's, not the cars. There's a big difference.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Oh, for sure. He was in the beginner's "class." By class, I mean the one you learn in and not the classification of car. Yea, he beat the drivers. But the "ultimate driving machine" certainly wasn't able to make these drivers into ultimate drivers that BMW suggests. Still, I think the tC shows that it won't be left behind at the starting line. Had he been powered by like, say, a D17 or something I think the story would have been a little different.

But in the end... it comforts me so leave me alone!

Joking, of course, but the tC is worth a lot of smiles and that's what counts. To me at least.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'm putting my car in the shop to get the H&Rs installed Wednesday; I'll be able to report as soon as I get the car back how they ride in conjunction with the Hotchkis antisways, riding on stock-size wheels/tires (18s butchered my ride when I had them for a brief stint with TRD springs).

-Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.