Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've had my car, my first stickshift, for about 4 days now and I'm getting better. I'm fairly comfortable with most things, except this one thing. Say I am going along and there's something ahead so I need to slow down fairly quickyl. So I pop it into neutral and just coast and use the break. But then it turns out that maybe the light changes or whatever in front of me goes away so I can start accelerating again, so I need to pop it into the appropriate gear for the speed I'm moving. When I push the clutch down, pop it into gear, and then start to gas it the car kind of shakes and the engine makes it sound like I'm not doing it right. What is the proper procedure for doing this? This is most notable when I pop into second such as when turning in a residential area. Any tips would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
172 Posts
is it lurching on you at all? if so, it means you're not applying enough gas... it's most likely a product of having the car in too high a gear with not enough throttle, thus stalling the car (or trying to...)... my recommendation would be to choose a lower gear than you have been, and to hit the gas sooner. don't downshift into 1st though... 2nd should be the lowest you go... so just make sure the rpms stay above idle...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is kind of lurching. So does that mean I should press down the clutch, put it into gear, and then hit the gas a little more than I have been before starting to let out the clutch?

Is this different than shifting into gear from another gear? I mean, so when shifting from neutral into a gear you need more gas than normal?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's not a good idea to brake in neutral. You should apply the brake while still in gear, and only shift if you need to be in a lower gear to exit the corner. This requires a little planning. If you enter the turn and know you need to be in second or third to drive out of the turn, you should downshift into the appropriate gear before entering the turn (while braking), then accelerate out of the turn as you planned with the correct gear. Automatics don't do this well, and it's one of the reasons I hate automatics. They can't correctly anticipate what I need, they can only respond to existing conditions.

For the advanced techniques, do a search for "heel toe".

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It doesn't hurt anything, but you are not in control of the car when you brake in neutral. There is no good reason to brake in neutral, especially if you plan on accelerating shortly after you slow. If you are in neutral you can't apply power, and applying power is often far more important than braking for retaining control of the car.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ i agree with you, lance, but it seems that there is a possibility that the one having the difficulty with proper shift timing and gear selection may have to work up to understanding you in a pratically applicable manner.
for example, you said "if you know you need to be in 2nd or 3rd..." but it seems as though thats the first part jetleigh is having trouble with - gear selection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I realized I've been shifting into too low of a gear most likely. I was shifting but my rpms were too low for that gear probably so that's probably why I was lurching. I should probably go for 3rd gear when turning most city street light corners. And 2nd for residential area corners. How does that sound?

When I get better I can go for double clutching. I understand the concept. Tried it once yesterday and I think I could get it with some practice. But that'll come later. I made it up my steep driveway this morning (I have to start on a hill) without peeling out!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Remember to follow the recommended shift speeds listed in the manual. They were a life saver for me when I was first learning how to drive a stick.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i haven't read the manual... but if im less than 20 mph coming out of a turn i go into second.... greater than 20 then i go into third... i dont seem to have a lurching problem with that little rule to go by

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Ah, I see the problem now. Thanks for the help D. The "lurching" you describe is called lugging the engine. Your gear is too high for the speed you are going, so the engine protests violently. This is very bad for long service life. You are far better to rev the engine too high than too low. When the engine is at low speed, oil pressure is low, and the only thing between the rod bearings and the crank is pressurized oil. When the oil pressure is lower than the load you are putting on the engine, you get momentary contact of the bearing on the crank. This will ruin rod bearings in very short order, so definitely follow hamster's advice, it will save you a lot of grief in the long run. And I know we all want to keep our tC's in good shape for the long run, don't we?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
wow. i gave useful information for once.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I am above 40 MPH I go into 5th
below 40 and above 30 = 4th gear
below 30 above 20 = 3rd gear
below 20 = 2nd gear

seems to be super smooth for me when I do those things, let me know if it isn't a good idea to do it this way.

Also, I have trouble on steep hills too, part of it is paranoia. I squeel the tires real bad, only happend twice so far since I've owned the car (8900 miles). I need to go to a parking garage and practice one weekend to get used to the friction point I guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another question about shiffting-

I have not got my TC yet it should arrive this week.

I learned to drive stick on a civic. When my friend taught me to drive it he told me that on his paticular car i should aim my shiffting at about 3000 rpms. is there a point where i should aim my shiffting on my TC or should i just still aim for 3000 when im driving normal

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMO you should rely more on sound that looking down at RPM's. Turn your stereo down and listen to what your engine has to tell you. I learned how to drive a stick by riding motorcycles. I have heard that it doesnt work the other way though. If you know how to drive a stick it doesnt help riding a bike. I cant see that but a few people who were learning to ride told me that. Your car will tell you when to shift just listen to it. If you are new to stick shift just listen. Higher RPM's produce a higher pitch so to speak. Lower RPM's lower pitch. If it's lurching your too high a gear. If it's screaming too low. Hope this helps in some way.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I learned on farm implements when I was 6. It helped a lot when I learned to ride bikes. Riding bikes helped a lot with driving cars. Road racing both was more helpful than anything.

·
Registered
539 Posts
haha lo bux is always so mean to everyone...seriously

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.