Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 2005 Scion tC manual that has been well cared for over the years (223,000 miles). I have been chasing a diagnostic and looking for your help.

There is a clunk sound/feel every time I use the accelerator pedal. I checked all of the wheels and found some play in the Right Front tire. The wheel moves an 1/8 of an inch in every direction (i.e. up/down, left/right, diagonally, etc.). I can see the wheel move this slight amount but no other parts are moving when observing behind the wheel and nothing feels loose. The clunk sound occurs every time I go from coasting to even slightly pressing the accelerator pedal, as if the transfer of weight and force is causing the failing part to be in one of 2 positions. Turning the wheel or different speeds seems to have no effect of this observation (it happens from 5 mph to 100mph ;-) ).

I checked the tie-rod end, the lower control arm and tried my best to assess the CV Axle, but does not seem to be the root cause, they all seem to be in good working order. The struts were replaced about 50,000 miles ago, so I do not believe it is related to that (such as a strut tower bearing), but haven't crossed it off the list completely either.

Is this indicative of a wheel bearing / hub ... are there methods to diagnose this rather then replace and see if it goes away ... any other ideas or root causes this could be? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a 2005 Scion tC manual that has been well cared for over the years (223,000 miles). I have been chasing a diagnostic and looking for your help.

There is a clunk sound/feel every time I use the accelerator pedal. I checked all of the wheels and found some play in the Right Front tire. The wheel moves an 1/8 of an inch in every direction (i.e. up/down, left/right, diagonally, etc.). I can see the wheel move this slight amount but no other parts are moving when observing behind the wheel and nothing feels loose. The clunk sound occurs every time I go from coasting to even slightly pressing the accelerator pedal, as if the transfer of weight and force is causing the failing part to be in one of 2 positions. Turning the wheel or different speeds seems to have no effect of this observation (it happens from 5 mph to 100mph ;-) ).

I checked the tie-rod end, the lower control arm and tried my best to assess the CV Axle, but does not seem to be the root cause, they all seem to be in good working order. The struts were replaced about 50,000 miles ago, so I do not believe it is related to that (such as a strut tower bearing), but haven't crossed it off the list completely either.

Is this indicative of a wheel bearing / hub ... are there methods to diagnose this rather then replace and see if it goes away ... any other ideas or root causes this could be? Thank you in advance!
I have a 2005 tc, and from my experience if freeway driving and I make turns where it feels a sudden yank in the turning direction it is the tie rod bearing. If it is a clunk at acceleration or a clunk at the change in each gear upon acceleration it is the CV Axle Bearing. Lift up the front end of your car car, make sure you have the parking brake on, and the back wheels chocked. Place the Jack stands so the car is held at the wheel arms so the wheels are not dangling. Shake the car to confirm it is stable. While under grab with both arms the CV shaft and see if there are any play while trying to rotate it back and forth... Do this with both side. If you feel even the slightest play then it is bad... usually the passenger side, so try this side first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts