Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
This is what I was warning you about. You'll have to replace the entire console; start calling junkyards.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah, that damn thing is unbelievably fragile, and I've been working on electronic gizmos professionally since 1979. Warranty is a beautiful thing sometimes.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Apr 18 2005, 06:02 PM
Don't you mean warranty fraud?
You would be right if I had been removing the display itself, but it should not break when removing the switch component assembly from the dash piece. It did. The entire board assembly was still quite safe inside its housing when the display cracked. I call that defective.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
That is not normal use. You broke it, and it was completely your fault. That is not a defect in the legal or logical sense. I did the same thing, and was really pissed, but that doesn't make warranty fraud OK.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Apr 19 2005, 06:38 AM
That is not normal use. You broke it, and it was completely your fault. That is not a defect in the legal or logical sense. I did the same thing, and was really pissed, but that doesn't make warranty fraud OK.
If I remove the valve cover and it shatters in my hand using normal tools and procedures, it's a warrantable defect, and I would make a warranty claim.

You were removing the LCD from the board, I was removing the subassembly from the dash piece. Two completely different scenarios. I didn't even have the board removed from its protective housing. I would make the same complaint and ask for warranty repair if I removed the stock head unit and the display cracked and failed while removing it from the dash assuming I didn't do something stupid like smash the face with a tool.

IMO, warranty. That's what it's for. If the unit cracked while I was desoldering it, or while it was removed, I certainly would have bought another unit with my own money. If Toyota investigates this claim, they will find not one solder joint has been touched, and everything on the part is exactly as it came from the factory. That is very different, and not warranty fraud.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Possibly. See my caveat in the previous post.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.