Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a clay bar? I have asked my mom and dad and they dont know what it is. I would like to know what it is made out of, how it works, is it worth buying one, where would be the easiest place to get one? Thanks for all your help.

-Eric

·
Registered
425 Posts
From Mothers.com:

CALIFORNIA GOLD®
CLAY BAR PAINT SAVING SYSTEM

You've heard about clay bars-professional detailers, body men and your car buddies all talk about how well it works. Now use the clay bar everybody wants. Created to lift the particulate debris and contaminants that washing can't, our exclusive Paint Saving System will remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray. Better yet, our clay bar isn't hazardous to your paint-it's just firm enough to pick up the bad stuff, without being too aggressive. Use Mothers® Clay Bar to get rid of paint-fouling grime and pave the way for complete waxing.

------

You can find this at your local Pep Boys or Autozone probably. Look in the care care/cleaning section. Basically its a little yellow clay bar that you use to get stubborn debris and dirt off your car with. I believe it helps to smooth out the surface as well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Best thing ever for overspray / road film / any other stubborn contaminants. My buddy bought a 3-year old Accord that was covered in road film, impossible to get out with washing / waxing. Clay bar took it all off at once. Same with restoring couple other cars post-bodyshop repairs.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thanks a lot Z and JZ lol. Would this help get out little scratches that wax can't?

-Eric

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Some sort of rubbing compound or Scratch-X should be helpful with the scratches. Claybar is not for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For small/very minor scratches I'd use the Meguiars 3 Step system. It'll take a hell of a long time to complete your entire car, well only if you want to do that, but the results are incredible. The clay bar will do wonders if you want a very glassy surface, but not neccesarily remove scratches as it removes micro dirt and grime, whereas the scratch removers contain a minor abrasive compound that'll "rub" away the fine scratches. I have Scratch X and it works great!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the Meguiars 3 step system? Sounds good

-Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by buderic@Jan 9 2006, 04:55 PM
Whats the Meguiars 3 step system? Sounds good

-Eric
Okay here we go:

Step 1: Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Basically a pretty simple initial paint cleaner, removes minor scratches and oxidation.

Step 2: Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (Contains polishing oils and conditioning agents that help enhance gloss)

Step 3: Meguiars Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax (Brazilian carnauba wax. Apply in sequential order after steps 1 & 2. )

So there you have it folks. But you don't have to do steps 1 & 2 every single time after you car wash unless it's filthy dirty or something. You can just do step 3 and that should last for a while until the next major detail.

All the bottles cost a few bucks each so it isn't super expensive, but it is super tiring tho, have fun =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does clay bar also remove any wax/polish you have applied? I ask because I'm 8 coats deep with Zaino, which is more than a little bit of work. If I go back and clay bar, will I be starting from scratch with the polish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.