Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see that a lot of people seems to like the Alpine head units in here, but I was looking at the Clarion DXZ655MP because of its features, looks, and according to the sound shop I was going with, its sound quality. Has anybody had any experience with this unit, or Clarion in general. Should I stick with the Alpines? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I bought my first Clarion HU in '89-- a pull-out tape deck-- and I've been loyal to 'em ever since. My buddy is still using the Clarion 5790 deck I bought in '94 in his Civic. Their products really last.

My wife's car has the older version of the HU you're looking at, the 625MP. 3 years on, it's still working great. I just put a VRX755VD in my tC, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Alpine does make excellent units, but I get a little tired of everyone pushing that line so hard-- like "Alpine" is the "Coke" of car audio.

I'm a big believer in ergonomics first; pretty much any HU will offer great sound quality and nice features. The layout of the faceplate and easy access to functions is the primary concern when I look at HUs.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think in sound quality in clarion beats alpine, but feature wise i think the alpines typically win. However, im not running any speakers off the head unti, just the RCAs, so im not too worried about the stock internal amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 26 2005, 02:30 PM
I think in sound quality in clarion beats alpine, but feature wise i think the alpines typically win. However, im not running any speakers off the head unti, just the RCAs, so im not too worried about the stock internal amp.
That's good to know, because for right now I'm just replacing the HU and the rear speaker with 6.5" Focals(current rears are total crap because they are full range) with the funds I have. Later I will probably replace the fronts, add an amp or 2 and a sub. So sound quality of the HU is kind of important to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
NATE- just curious, how u replacing the rear speakers with 6.5's, you have some kind of adapter hardware? cuz i'm pretty sure those are 5.25's.
Back to the original post...CLarion HU's are definitely nice, probably right up there with Alpine. I'd say, 6 in one....blah blah, take your pick. But alpine's product line is much more complete, and reputation more well known.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$The TC$ - I was just going by Crutchfield on the rear speaker size I haven't actually measured them yet. The sound shop I was going with seemed to think that the 6.5's would fit, but them they haven't actually started installing yet. According to Crutchfield the 6.5's will fit with an adaptor bracket, so I think that is what they were planning. Hopefully it won't take a lot of modification to get them in there. I would really like to go a size up to get a little more "bass" out of them. Has anyone replaced the rears yet?

·
Registered
453 Posts
clarion and alpine a very good, i have always had alpine b/c when i got my first deck the alpine had more features for the money, but in terms of sound quality and value they are both great products, if alpine ever went downhill, which i dont forsee, i would immediately switch to clarion...the thing that sells me to alpine as well is the kca-420i (ipod interface)

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'd pick alpine over clarion any day

clarions (in comparison to alpine) is lacking in many categories, the 855 (msrp @ $700) only has a 2 band eq and a lpf......

compared to alpines $500 9855 with a ton of features

if alpine ever went downhill, i'd go with eclipse, nakamichi, kenwood n pioneer.. in that order

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
oh yeah I really like clarion alot I have never had an alpine unit myself always clarion and I have always loved how they perform and can read any freakin cd no matter how scratched.

I have loved there features too, not too overloaded but just the way that I like it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have owned 2 clarion radios in my life and recently bought the Alpine IVAD300. I will never buy a clarion again. Clarion radios may sound better off the radio amp, but they seriously lack voltage and sound quality when it comes to their RCA outputs. My Alpine only has a 2-volt preamp out for the subs, but i can tell you my sub has never hit harder.

I agree though, if i didn't choose Alpine, I would have gone with an Eclipse or Kenwood.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope+Jul 28 2005, 12:30 AM-->QUOTE (Dr. Isotope @ Jul 28 2005, 12:30 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Soundguy50
@Jul 27 2005, 10:12 AM
...the thing that sells me to alpine as well is the kca-420i (ipod interface)
I do a bit better.
[/b]
um......uhhhhhhhh.....wellllllll.....i dont like big screens!!!!! yeah, thats it, i dont like big screens....lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so here is what I went with on my stereo install. I'm really glad I chose the Clarion because the sound quality is great with plenty of power. I also installed the Focal 6.5 components in the front doors which are really awesome. I wish the stereo was installed a bit better, but maybe I'll address this when I can find someone who can build me a flushmounted custom faceplate that will fit the opening and I can remove that stupid door. For now I'm happy with it, and it sounds ten times better than stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.