Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody Know what Chirping your gears does internally in your transmission..... like how bad is it and does peeling out screw up your engine or transmission....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you mean chirping your tires when switching from 1st to 2nd? If so then I'd have to say that if you didnt do it im sure your synchros would last longer as well as your engine since you have to run to such high revs to do it. Depends on the durability of the transmission in the car. The transmission wasnt "designed" for that kind of use. So with that in mind im sure that putting that kind of stress on it will shorten the useable life.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Synchros, driveshafts, all the vibration damping components in the driveline, and engine mounts all suffer when you abuse the car this way.

Sounds like Labfish has a new member application to process.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i chirped yesterday... first time i really ran the car... didn't know it could do that...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It will do it a lot if you are right on the white stripe at a stoplight.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^ That actually happened to me when was crossing the railroad tracks, and was on the rubbarized part of the crossing. Some a-hole stopped right after the tracks to make a left turn, I stopped, got pissed and tried to quickly go around him, but the tires just spun on the rubber, I didn't even floor it or anything, just gave some gas. Then I heard a quick popping noise, and then was off. The popping kinda scared me, Lance, got any ideas as to what it might be?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
no white paint on the road in my case... i wanted to see how quick the tC was.. and i found out... now i gotta be careful about dropping the clutch from 1st to 2nd when running it hard

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@May 2 2005, 09:47 AM
Then I heard a quick popping noise, and then was off. The popping kinda scared me, Lance, got any ideas as to what it might be?
wheel hop.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The wheel is getting airborne while you are on the gas accelerating, or off the gas and trying to stop over significant bumps. In either case, the suspension isn't keeping the tire on the ground. This should be one of the very large advantages of the tweel: vastly greater compliance with the road surface, and fewer low traction events.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@May 3 2005, 06:56 PM
OHHHHH, that is what wheel hop is. now i get it. thanks.
That's half the story. Wheel hop can also be induced by accelerating hard on a flat surface with good traction because the shock absorbing elements in the drivetrain wind up and release in a cyclic fashion. It literally makes the wheel jump off the pavement which unloads the shock absorbing elements and causes the wheel to go back onto the ground where it winds up and releases again. The wheel looks like it is literally hopping off the ground.

Of course this causes premature death of all the shock absorbing elements, which on a FWD car is the rubber engine mounts. They make them soft to isolate the engine vibration from the chassis, but in doing so, the mounts lose their ability to transfer high torque loads without severe distortion, so you get wheel hop. There are lots of ways to change this, sometimes you can fix it with tire pressure, other times you need to use a damper like the Weapon R engine damper, you might fix it with different spring rates and damping settings in your suspension, or you change the engine mounts themselve by using a more rigid elastomer like polyurethane or even solid metal mounts (racecar only). All of these "fixes" change the resonant frequency of the tire/driveline/engine/chassis system so the wheel is less likely to hop. None of it is guaranteed to stop it, but usually some combination of these four things will control wheel hop.

Don't get me wrong, wheel hop is VERY BAD. I have seen a Supra blow up it's rear differential because of wheel hop. Do not underestimate its destructive power.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
my civic wheel hopped all the time.... i always thought it was because there wasn't enough weight up there to keep them on the ground... but thanks to lance i have been enlightened...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Doesn't installing a limited slip differential help control wheel hop?

My understanding is that a limited slip helps distribute the force evenly between both wheels, thus preventing wheel hop. Is this correct?

But I also remember hearing its not possible to put a limited slip on a tC.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It might, but it's unlikely. Some of the MkIV Supras come from the factory with Torsen LSDs, and they still wheel hop mercilessly.

It isn't possible to buy a limited slip spool from Quaife or Torsen or even TRD, but Rick has connections at Phantom Grip for their device, so it's unfair to say it isn't available.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@May 3 2005, 08:41 AM
Wheel hop in a wrong wheel drive car is terrible! Never experienced it before I got this car.
It's an experience, get a Quaife, it helps vastly.

If you ever do anything to add real horsepower to front wheel driving, you get alot of wheel hop unless you set it up right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.