Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So China think they will be the #1 by 2020.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-10/...ent_3712806.htm
XI'AN, Oct. 31 (Xinhuanet) -- An economist has said China's auto industry is to experience rapid growth in the coming 15 years and the country will become the world's largest automaker by 2020.

"China's per capita GDP has topped 1,000 US dollars, which means a growing number of Chinese citizens will be able to afford private cars and the auto industry will outgrow the country's GDP," said Dr. Feng Fei, an economist with the Development Research Center of the State Council, the Chinese cabinet.

China's auto output hit 5.07 million units in 2004, ranking fourth among the world's largest automakers following the United States, Japan and Germany.

Dr. Feng said China's auto production is set to hit 6 million units this year, 9.6 to 10 million in 2010 and 14 to 15 million in 2020.

"By then, China will become the world's No. 1 auto consumer andproducer, too. Added value yielded by the automaking sector will make up two to 2.3 percent of the country's GDP, up from 1.6 percent in 2004," Dr. Feng said at a recent forum on the outlook of the Chinese economy in Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province.

He said China still lags behind the developed countries in the auto industry. "In Germany and the United States, for example, the auto industry contributes 8 percent and 3 percent respectively to their GDP."

China's auto sector currently faces three major problems: lack of competition and coordination in the domestic market that weakens the competitiveness of the entire industry, lack of innovation and excess reliance on oil imports, he said.

As a result, Feng said China should develop more economical cars in the coming decades to maximize fuel efficiency amid climbing oil prices.

Experts say in 2010, China's oil output will reach 180 million tons and oil import will hit 140 million tons, making up 44 percent of the country's total oil supply.

By 2020, oil import will soar to 250 or 270 million tons, making up 56 to 60 percent of China's oil supply, while the country's own oil production will be between 180 and 200 million tons.[/b]
Sure, China. With your ZERO STAR SUV.
http://www.redstaterant.com/archives/1203-...o-Industry.html
The first Chinese car to be sold in Europe has scored zero — the worst-ever score — in safety tests.

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.”[/b]

Video
40MPH Test

Maybe they're subtly performing population control.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
O M G

That thing just fell apart!

I read an article about a dealer in Texas selling cars from china a few years back... they had a lot of problems with them because of HORRID quality control... I ain't buyin a chinese car ever...

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was mandatory for a manufacturer to get their vehicles crash tested. Isuzu Rodeo doesn't have a single test report. Last model being the 04. Jeesh.

Isuzu is Chinese?

· Registered
4,234 Posts
Wow! Six million units in production!! Let's see... 6 million cars, 1.2 billion people, that's one car for every 200 people. Man, carpooling in China must be a bitch, seeing how well the crash tests go with just 2 people in the car. Imagine when they're up to "capacity".

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Nov 1 2005, 06:08 PM
I thought it was mandatory for a manufacturer to get their vehicles crash tested. Isuzu Rodeo doesn't have a single test report. Last model being the 04. Jeesh.

Isuzu is Chinese?
Isuzu is Japanese, but I've seen companies sell or license their designs to other companies before; in this case it seems Isuzu licensed their design to a Chinese firm for manufacture in China. That, or Isuzu opened up a factory there and is building these under contract with the Chinese firm.

-Ed

· Registered
187 Posts
Largest automaker is a distinct possibility, as if they just concentrate on selling in their home market. 1.2billion is a pretty large market to find buyers. It doesn't say anywhere that they expect to be selling in quantity here in the US or Europe. Largest automaker just means that they will be pumping out the most amount of cars.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I read in an article a few weeks ago that chinese manufacturers have no guilt or shame about raping designs from other companies. So although that looks like a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo, I think it's more likely that it's a clone. I would rather buy a Korean car than a Chinese one, and that says a lot, because I would sooner eat my shoes than buy a Korean car.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The Aveo was available under a Chinese badge before they produced a single unit in the joint venture plant in China. Intellectual property laws in China are basically non-existent, or complete unenforced.

That said, all the things you guys are saying about the Chinese cars we said about Japanese cars in the 60's and early 70's. And they really were that bad. Don't count them out.

I just wonder where we're going to get the oil to power all these new vehicles. Anybody seen the Chevron ads lately? We use 2 barrels of oil for every 1 we discover...we're at global peak production now...the next 5 years or so will be very interesting.

· Registered
62 Posts
even though china's kind of laughable right now, who knows what advances they'll make over the next couple of decades. their products might be embarrassing at the moment, but they have the resources to become a major player in the world market (not just vehicles) very soon. i'm already prepared to welcome our chinese overlords!

· Registered
567 Posts
Haha, that video is awsome.

And america will never let communist china become a leading anything unless it is something we orchestrate to further world domination interests.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Nov 2 2005, 06:34 PM
The Aveo was available under a Chinese badge before they produced a single unit in the joint venture plant in China. Intellectual property laws in China are basically non-existent, or complete unenforced.

That said, all the things you guys are saying about the Chinese cars we said about Japanese cars in the 60's and early 70's. And they really were that bad. Don't count them out.

I just wonder where we're going to get the oil to power all these new vehicles. Anybody seen the Chevron ads lately? We use 2 barrels of oil for every 1 we discover...we're at global peak production now...the next 5 years or so will be very interesting.
Lance, I dont mean to be rude but your first paragraph is incorrect... The Chevrolet Aveo is based off of a Daewoo car. Daewoo is a South Korean company, not Chinese.

I completly agree with you about the Japanese cars in the 60's and 70's. Anyone remember "Tokyo Tin" but look at the Japanese cars now! Toyota and Honda are producing very safe reliable cars and Lexus is competing with the German luxury automakers like BMW and Mercedes. The Japanese automakers have really pulled their acts together in the last 20 years or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.