Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have only had my tC a few months and have just 1900 miles on it. I went to my Toyota dealer about a week ago and had my first oil change and everything checked out fine.

On my way to work today the check engine light came on. Car still drove fine, everything seemed normal.

I made an appointment to have it checked out and they can't see me till Thursday morning.

Anyone else have something like this happen or know what it could possibly be?

I'm not too concerned, price wise, since it's all under warrenty for a long time still, but this hopefully isn't an indicator of big problems ahead. My baby is hurt!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by LIscionTC@Jan 10 2006, 04:28 PM
Did you get fuel recently?
The reason he asked is that if the fuel filler cap is not installed properly...tight until it "clicks" ...it can trigger the check engine light to come on. I believe it is in the owners manual. I believe that it will reset the light after a while if the gas cap problem is corrected. Short of that..it is a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went and checked the gas cap; retightened it and everything. I then started the car but the light stayed on. Might it take like 30 min of driving to re-seal the tank or whatever the term is? If not, then it wasn't the gas cap.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It takes several trips or on-off cycles to get rid of the CEL caused by the gas cap. It should disappear by the time your dealer appointment is due.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jan 10 2006, 04:55 PM
It takes several trips or on-off cycles to get rid of the CEL caused by the gas cap. It should disappear by the time your dealer appointment is due.
Excellent. I'll go drive around a bit and turn the car on and off periodically to see if that clears it up.

I'll update later tonight.

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Wouldn't he also have to disconnect the battery cable to reset the CEL even if the gas cap thing did the trick?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe, If so your better off trying to pull out the No.1 EFI fuse for about 30sec. to reset the check engine light, before disconnecting the battery and losing all your setting. I know it works on older Toyota model's not sure on the new stuff, If not u'll need a OBDII scan tool to clear the codes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 10 2006, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't he also have to disconnect the battery cable to reset the CEL even if the gas cap thing did the trick?
It should reset for that problem in the course of normal driving..a few drives and sitting off in between. The only reason I did not suggest the disconnection of the battery is that if a loose cap was not the trouble..it could knock out the problem code that was really there. Unless it reoccured before he went to the dealer they would come up empty on where to start looking. They would get a code for a battery disconnect though..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by LIscionTC@Jan 10 2006, 06:19 PM
There is no such battery code.
You may be right for sure. I do not have the code book for the car. There is on most other cars I owned, Dodge and Mitsubishi had a disconnect battery code for sure. As I had read the code on tons of them.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Removing the battery wouldn't remove the CEL, as all engine codes are stored in non-volatile memory (meaning that it still stays around even when the ECU loses power). Think of it as a mini hard-drive for the ECU. One solution is to take the car to an Advanced Auto Parts or something similar, use their ODB-II scantool, and clear the error code. When I was getting the e-Manage Ultimate working properly (more along the lines of getting it to turn over on cold start), I'd have to make the trip to an Advanced Auto Parts in order to clear the CEL and see if that helped things.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.