Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, the "check engine" light started flashing two or three times on startup and I noticed that the odometer was just about at 4900 miles. It does it every time the car starts, warm or cold, doesn't stay on and the car seems fine. I was wondering if there's scheduled maintenance at 5000 miles and if this is supposed to be a reminder for it.

I don't have the owner's manual right at hand and I was sitting here wondering about it.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I haven't really ckecked over mine but I know this was discussed some time ago. As far as I can recall.... it is a reminder for your oil change. You can do a topic search to find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
your maintenance light should light up every 5000 as an oil change reminder. I believe I posted how to reset that light if you want to know. When you get your oil changes at the dealership (thee free) they will reset that light for you. It is really simple.... let me check

[EDIT]
found it.
click this for your answer
[/EDIT]

·
Registered
409 Posts
anybody know the time it takes for a dealership to change oil? i want to get it changed before i put my shortshifter in so i can blame any weird problems that migth come up on them, ie i hate my dealership near my house they try to screw me over every chance i get so =) gotta blame stuff on them

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I thought Toyota dealerships all over the country have this 29 minute guarantee? At least all of them in Atlanta area do. If they are not done in 29 minutes after taking your keys - your next oil change is free.

I'd check for posters / toyota service website for that.

Edit:

http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/smg_s...rt=express_lube

Here we go. Took 2 minutes to find it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got really lucky with my first oil change. Brought the car in at 2000 miles and only had to wait 25 min. Also, I asked them if they could put on a TRD oil filter when they change that. Even though the oil change was complementary i thought i'd have to pay for the upgraded filter. Turned out the guys put the TRD filter on for me and didn't charge me the $21.99 the filter sold for. I have always had the worst experiences with car dealers but this was rare. My light came on once but has never flashed again but im not up to 5k yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if your check engine light comes on it could be you have a loose gas cap. The maint required light comes on for oil changes. maint light and engine light are two different things. The guy at the dealership told me that would be the first thing to look for if you get the engine light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by thunder952@May 7 2005, 03:54 AM
To reset you service light. Put you key into the on position. Hold done the odimeter button for 10seconds then your light should go off.

where did you learn that neat trick.......

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My first oil change was horrible. Not a lot of people, still took over an hour. They were supposed to rotate my tires, but didn't. Had to go back the next day to make them do it. So they gave me a free oil change, so now it get four free. Still not worth it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, the service department at the scion dealership I work at is retarded. The guy told me that they don't install TRD parts... and i was like... yes you do. He also told me that allignment isn't covered by warranty when indeed it is for 12 months or 20k miles. They're all butt heads there. But its ok, cause I just drop my car off, go to work, and pick it up when its done.

About your main't required light... yes, its the oil change light. To clear it, press the odo button, turn the key to the on position and then wait 10 seconds then turn it back to off. That should do it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just noticed that my tc has the "maint. req." light on, it blinks for about 14 seconds (give or take a second or two) and does NOT stay on, just blinks. Is that just the oil change reminder? I ask because I don't think anyone said how long theirs stayed on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes the oil change reminder. If you keep driving and don't change the oil and reset the reminder..it will stay on all the time. I do not recommend that you verify that though! It is all outlined in the owners manual.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ok, I never noticed the light before, so maybe they dealer didn't reset it last time or something because I'm not actually due for another 1000 miles or so

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.