Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Charcoal filter is supposed to capture gasoline fumes that go back through the intake piping in the atmosphere when the engine is shut off. That's it. Mine's gone long long long time ago.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There's no negative effect on engine performance. There may be a negative effect on passing the California Smog Check visual inspection.

The visual is the hardest part to pass because the tech checks your vacuum hose routing, checks for physical presence of the cats and EGR system (if there is one) and ensures any aftermarket pieces have a CARB exemption number. Some places are such d*cks that they won't even try to smog your car if it has anything aftermarket on it. It's my single biggest reason for wanting to leave CA, right after the idiot assault weapons laws.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You think visual "inspectors" will know that there should be a charcoal filter in the airbox? tC is the first car I've seen it on..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Some will, some won't. I've heard of guys passing smog with single turbo supras just by claiming the single is a replacement for toasted stock turbos. I also know there are shops that will pass anything with a clean tailpipe if you spike the bill hard enough. Personally, I don't want issues with smog. They now have mobile smog checking on on-ramps and even some city streets using infra-red gas analysis. If you are not paying attention, you can get a notice in the mail to have your car checked at a test-only station immediately or they suspend your registration. Worst of all, in the Bay Area they've had issues with street racing (especially around Fremont from what I've heard) and they are stopping imports that look modified to check for non-CARB approved aftermarket items. If the judge really wants to be a d*ck, you can be fined as much as $10k for intentionally violating smog abatement laws. It's not exactly something you want to happen. It's the only reason I still have CT-12s on my Supra.

Even worse than all this, if you are young, Asian, and driving a lowered import, you will be profiled. They call it DWA, and it is real. I'm not Asian, I'm a middle-aged caucasian so I don't suffer the same fate, but there have been plenty of reports by import owners about being pulled over and harrassed by police, cars being impounded for smog violations even when they were NOT in violation, and other wonderful big brother things.

Does that paint the picture better?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I know a cruel method and a very cruel method.

First method - you break off the clips and pull the filter out with its frame - second method is you take a knife and cut the filter out leaving the frame in the top part of the airbox. Not nice, I know. And yes, it's a one way street.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I never want to live in California because of #### like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, so once i take it out, theres no going back? those are the kind of things i usually dont mess with unless i know 100% i will never need to put it back in...... which should be the case right? I shoudlnt have to put it back in for any test or anything?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you are in cali - there is a very slight chance of you getting pinched for it. Very very very slight chance - how many cars have charcoal filters in the intake as standard equipment? But before doing it - wait for more opinions - maybe I'm missing something...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well......... i live in louisiana........ im fixing to just go outside and take it out lol, however i will wait for one more response............and thanks for the help

does it change the sound at all?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I had a TRD drop-in filter from day 1, and I don't think I noticed any sound change after taking out the charcoal filter. Did this for one local tC owner (GA_tC) - he's happy with the mod, and looks like he also did not hear any sound difference.

·
Registered
272 Posts
it has NO effect on performance.... taking it off doesnt do anything better for u.

most cars that are OBD2 have them, and more and more state inspectors are being fined for not checking shitt like that, so it may be harder to pass inspection without it. for the hassle it may cause u in the future, the half pound the thing weighs isnt worth it to take off

·
Registered
742 Posts
I got pulled over back in 2002 for loud exhaust when mine was dead quite, even had a stock tip!!!! You know you are in trouble when the guy is 6'4", body builder, a cop, mush have a very little dick!

Anyway, guy was a total jackass, I explained I never drove the car on the street(99% true) was on my way to retire that day from the USN(true) and the guys I worked with asked me to bring it in(true)

Two damm loud harleys went past and I asked him why they were let go when we could not even talk while they were passing, he just got pissy and brought out some goofy rule book with photos, a cope of a new law in the city(that makes every dime it get's on the Navy and tickets on Navy people) had to pop the hood or go to jail, pics taken, car ran perfectly clean, etc.

Then I had to remove it all, back to stock which took two days, drive 50 miles to a referee, pay $150 or so, get it passed, go to see the judge, got a years probation, drove home and put my damm turbo right back on!!!!

Up in very far No CA, not smog checks, now registered in a small town in OR with no checks, moving to Portland area, will just take my chances as my cars run clean, commy bastards in government be dammed!!!

Now you know how I really feel:)

Rick

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.