Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because it is such a major performance inproving part and why we got it in the first place, to improve handling, braking, acceleration and more:)

Sorry no pics but our new website is not ready to post pics on yet, I work far to many hours and do not have much time online of to deal with pics(end up working late and far to often all night to get any progress on our project cars) and we have other reasons for the future of our car;)

Stock roof, 62 lbs, creaks, moans, groans, sometimes shatters, head gets hot from being so close to the sun, etc. lol

CF/Kevlar roof, 16lbs the way we installed it which is very secure and with the out using any factory sunroof parts as it was originally designed to be installed with.

The doors shut far more solidly, the car is quieter inside, more headroom(for now, still deciding on headliner mods) the whole chassis feels stiffer, handling is vastly improved.

Turn in is much quicker, smoother and far more predicatable.

Mid corner has alot less body roll, even with a big rear bar installed.

Lower center of gravity means lower roll center/ roll couple, less weight transfered to the outside wheels, riding more on all four instead of mostly on two wheels during hard cornering.

Much sleeker looking, fewer gaps means less drag and turbulance, less noise as well.

Stock roof is a bunch of expensive parts, should be able to recover our investment and have some left over for other mods.

Very unique, not going to see to many of these around, if any:)

NOTE: This was a very time consuming and pretty intense install, would not recommend it to anybody unless they have alot of fabrication skills, a very good dry place to work and plenty of time to not be using your car.

To be a viable self installed item it would need some significant redesign and the manf does not, at this time, have plans to make them available.

If you want it done then a campain to the manf would be in order, I would not bug them unless you are very serious and then if you do, tell them Rick McCallum at RAAMaudio has one and that he said you would need alot of interest to even think of doing this for us, ask for Andy;)

(775) 351-2240

As of right now, CF fabric is in short supply due to large defense department and aerospace industry orders, we chose to have ours lined inside with Kevlar/CF weave and the outside black gel coated, looks close to stock this way, our car is a bit of a sleeper;)

Please only call them if you are serious enough to actually buy one if they build them,
ask them about pricing as well if you wish to know it;)

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've seen it. It isn't one of those things that will make your bling meter peg. It's really pretty subtle, and if you aren't paying attention, you could overlook it just because the colors blend so well with the OEM glass. The missing lines between the deflector, main window, and rear window are the only thing that really gives it away from 20 feet.

It is a true performance mod though. It would be awesome if Kaminari decided to fab the entire bolt-in structure so you could remove the OEM piece and bolt in a panel to cover the whole thing. That would be pretty difficult though. I can imagine how to do it, but actually doing it would be pretty challenging on a production scale.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by gotTC?@Oct 10 2005, 04:30 PM
is it going to be painted or are you leaving it looking like cf?
As he said, it doesn't look like CF because it's carbon kevlar with the carbon fiber side down and a black gel coat on topside.

-Ed

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Andy today to put a bug in his ear to talk to his boss about making them as bolt in one piece units. Sure it would take a bit of effort but there could be a pretty big market since so many are having trouble with the glass roof, maybe we can get Toyota to give them as replacements for blown glass roofs, lol!

Please believe me, the handling improvements are simply amazing, far more than I expected and I have been into weight reduction for decades!

The whole structure of the car is stiffened a great deal as well, the doors shut so solidily that I wish I could have you all hear to check it out!

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Audio clips won't do it justice. I heard his car before the roof and the doors sound like a Mercedes S class when they close. Very solid and very tight.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If that's your experience base, then it would be akin to telling a virgin what sex feels like. No words can do it justice. Go visit a Mercedes dealership and check it out. They won't mind as long as you don't treat the doors like they're from a '66 Impala. No slamming necessary, just close gently and hear them click. Solid. Tight. No resonance. Like Rick's tC...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.