Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I've never been big on the carbon fiber revolution, but if you like it, its all good.

Try some pictures outside with some natural light. It might give a better representation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
damn does it have to have the brand stamp on it in huge letters? I'm not down for the CF anyway, but that branding seems a little much, no?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think it looks good except for the large white lettering. Is it at least a removable sticker?

I find it interesting that www.motor-fx.com points to a register.com 'coming soon' web site. Who is the company behind these?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i know the people that run the company personally.. they are good people.. the hood has a sticker on there... it doesnt come like that, its to promote the company, the hood is made very well and i would get one myself if i had the money

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by PureXTC@Dec 14 2004, 07:59 PM
i know the people that run the company personally.. they are good people.. the hood has a sticker on there... it doesnt come like that, its to promote the company, the hood is made very well and i would get one myself if i had the money
exactly what he said...thanx bro

the web site is under construction but the company has been around since 2000 and this is one of their new ventures to produce high quality CF parts for a reasonable price especially the ever so growing SCION market...

and all comments and suggestions are welcome...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a BCP with a CF hood...tried to post pics from my site, but they don't work...here is the link:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/693703/5

They are not the best pics. I should take some more...maybe after I wash all of the salt off of it!! I am also going to have holes drilled for the washer holes. They are much needed in the snow.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i'm not a fan of the carbon fiber hood. i think it makes the car look like those old cars with the hoods and doors and quarter panels that don't match the rest of the car. but i have seen much worse done to cars, and tCs for that matter. at least your car is dark. it never looks good on light cars like the bright yellow and neon green civics that i see them on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
do you know if those hoods are made with crush pts? i remember ppl talking about how most carbon fiber hoods dont have them and that in a crash youll most likely be eating cf thru your window. Comming from physics class and talking about momentum and what not, i learned that in some equation which escapes my mind crush pts are more than just htere for your hood not to go thru ur window but to add some time which reduces the force at which ur hitting something dramatically, thats why they have water barrals and such in front of dividers when going on to the offramp and what not, time plays a huge factor in how much force you are going to recieve. newayZ just wondering if those hoods are made with crush pts

·
Registered
614 Posts
interesting. if they don't, i can just picture the carbon fiber shattering. not to scare anyone.
but it's an interesting vision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was $400 from creativecompacts.com. Not to scare anyone either, but this hood literally weights something of 5 pounds or so...I could see it just falling apart in an accident. It's so light I am not sure it would withstand any type of trauma like that...but for the looks, I really like it; esp with the glass roof. I do, however, think it looks better on the darker cars as well.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
holding off for one from genuine58. the solid factor provided by his under skeleton has my vote.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Right, but phammerz has a good point here. OEM hoods have hooks on them near the hinges to keep the thing from coming through the glass and chopping your head off in an accident. The hooks ensure the hood acts as a crush element instead of a guillotine.

A CF hood will not shatter the way some of you expect. Yes, composites shatter, but we're talking compression in the hood's strongest vector. It's unlikely to shatter in an accident if it can shear the hinge bolts and move backward.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 24 2004, 07:12 AM
Right, but phammerz has a good point here. OEM hoods have hooks on them near the hinges to keep the thing from coming through the glass and chopping your head off in an accident. The hooks ensure the hood acts as a crush element instead of a guillotine.

A CF hood will not shatter the way some of you expect. Yes, composites shatter, but we're talking compression in the hood's strongest vector. It's unlikely to shatter in an accident if it can shear the hinge bolts and move backward.
i forgot to latch a hood down before on my car, and all it did was fly over the car...if anything it will just go over the windsheild and not thru it

im not forcing the cf hood onto anyone, nor does it come with the car, so if you dont think its for you then its oK

but noone makes a CF hood that has crush points or hooks that will buckle upon impact and prevent you from getting hurt in anyway

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.