Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a CF hood and hatch for my car. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are susceptible to hail damage, and if so how much moderate damage averages in repair costs compared to a standard hood/hatch. (It was hailing here in some areas of Dallas today....luckily I was under covered parking). Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
426 Posts
well even the OEM hood and hatch are susceptible to hail damage as with the carbon fiber hood and hatch..the only thing that i would be worried about is if the hail hits hard enuff, it could start to damage the carbon fiber weaving which in some cases is replaceable..but with the regular OEM hood and hatch could be nothing but a few dents that are fixable (if the hail comes down this hard) as for costs, i really have no exact figures..but im pretty sure someone who has a lot more experience in these forums does..hope i helped a lil bit

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm not looking to get the cf hood and hatch in an effort to avoid hail damage. I was thinking about getting them for weight reduction.

I was aware of the potential damage to the OEM hood/hatch. I've had a couple of cars that received fairly extensive hail damage in the past.

Weather in D/FW is the most unpredictable weather that I have ever experienced. It tends to hail here several times a year. I've lived in Chicago, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Lubbock, and now Dallas ... it is by far the most unpredictable, not the worst, but mos def the craziest.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
if the CF is laid properly, and gel coated, it should be just as durable a finish as the stock hood and hatch against weather. just make sure the finished product is quality, and go for it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I'd really like to see the hail that could separate a well done composite.

FYI, the McLaren F1 (a supercar's supercar) was crash tested for UK approval. They crash the car at 30 mph into a solid barrier to test for bumper damage. The car is ENTIRELY CF, it weighs 2400 lbs with 600 hp and accelerates like a motorcycle (0-100 < 7 seconds). The car bounced off the barrier. NO damage. If the whole car isn't damaged by this, I really like to see the hail that could damage good CF bodywork.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
and in a slightly more everyday application, i have seen guys jumping up and down on their CF hoods after install and they are as good as new when they jump down.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Apr 6 2005, 09:17 PM
I'd really like to see the hail that could separate a well done composite.

FYI, the McLaren F1 (a supercar's supercar) was crash tested for UK approval. They crash the car at 30 mph into a solid barrier to test for bumper damage. The car is ENTIRELY CF, it weighs 2400 lbs with 600 hp and accelerates like a motorcycle (0-100 < 7 seconds). The car bounced off the barrier. NO damage. If the whole car isn't damaged by this, I really like to see the hail that could damage good CF bodywork.
I watched a clip of the McLaren F1. Anyone got a mil to lend me?

It was nice. And fast. Hehe. I'd race your supra, Lance if I ever had one

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You'd leave it for dead with one of those unless I did something really ridiculous to the Supra, like replicating the chassis in CF to take off 1200 lbs.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Apr 6 2005, 10:30 PM
and in a slightly more everyday application...
I know I laughed out loud.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i think lance missed that. or just didnt appreciate the ribbing. i can always count on jake.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I never mind a verbal harrassment. I have pretty thick skin. I was just feeling a bit Martylated that day. You know, when you take a piece of meat and soak it in a sauce for awhile and Martylate it?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Apr 7 2005, 08:47 PM
...i can always count on jake.
Marty yeah you can!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.