Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been confused in recent posts about the TRD exhaust and the fact that it's an axle back system, but produces more power than a cat back would...???

because it's a naturally aspirated system? what does that mean?

These are probobly newbie questions, but ...well, i'm a newbie at this stuff. Just seeking some guidance.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
936 Posts
my answer to your question is: nothing. The only difference from an axle back to a catalytic converter (cat back) exhaust is the piping that spans the distance from the cat to the axle. Dont beat yourself up over power loss differences with these systems, because the only real way to gain a significant amount of power is to switch to high flow cats or eliminate them completely. Unfortunatley neither a cat or axle back system replaces the catalytics converter therefore resulting in minimal (3-7hp) gains. - T

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by TCrazy@Jul 20 2004, 06:21 AM
Dont beat yourself up over power loss differences with these systems, because the only real way to gain a significant amount of power is to switch to high flow cats or eliminate them completely.
thanks, T.

is it really expensive to do that? how much of a gain are we talking about here? Also, is it street-legal to do so?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian+Jul 20 2004, 10:03 AM-->QUOTE (whosthatrussian @ Jul 20 2004, 10:03 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Jul 20 2004, 06:21 AM
Dont beat yourself up over power loss differences with these systems, because the only real way to gain a significant amount of power is to switch to high flow cats or eliminate them completely.
thanks, T.

is it really expensive to do that? how much of a gain are we talking about here? Also, is it street-legal to do so? [/b]
Not street legal to eliminate your cats all together however it is legal to switch to high-flow cats (except in CA). Keep in mind however that this will cause your car to be MUCH louder and give your exhaust note a more pungent odor due to the fact that the cats are not eliminated the unburned fuels that the engine may be spilling out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.....wow ok, guess I'm just gonna stick with my TRD exhaust system and the AEM CAI. Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tC has a cat and header in one system. As of right now you cannot run anything besides the TRD axleback. Someone needs to make a header then you can get a high flow cat and cat back or custom piping exhaust.

Edit: I would never buy the axleback. Waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by SHAGGY@Jul 20 2004, 12:42 PM
The tC has a cat and header in one system. As of right now you cannot run anything besides the TRD axleback. Someone needs to make a header then you can get a high flow cat and cat back or custom piping exhaust.

Edit: I would never buy the axleback. Waste of money IMO.
so true, doesnt do anything................especially not 500+ dollars worth!. The sound gets annoying after awhile once the novelty wears off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
get the intake mod first before gettin the exhaust =)

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
what is the fascination with a cat-back? first, given the unique set up of the header and cat on the tC, its gonna be awhile for headers. second - the stock pipe has a 2.25" internal diameter. what more do you need? stack on an axle-back to reduce the back pressure (the can is the restrictor here) and call it a day. my buddy in san diego runs a mid-8 second supra with more wrenching done under the hood than i could list on a post, and he's got a 3" pipe. why would it be necessary here?
this isnt to say the TRD axle back is the best one, but that, for general applications, AN axle-back by WHOEVER is all you need. of course, its your money. i'd rather sink that extra cash into a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ do you know how much the supercharger reduces the mpg on the car? Is it THAT big of a difference in the gas mileage?

edit: sorry for hijacking the thread

1 - 12 of 12 Posts