Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I have no luck with my tC.

After I got my tune. My guy told me the car might stall out once in a while when I first start it, and that its nothing wrong, just start it right back up and give it a little gas and it will idle back normally.
When the engine is cold, it starts up no problem @ all...

Ok so that happend a few times. No biggie, until it started to get WORSE.
NOW when the car is warm, it stalls out at red lights, stop signs, in reverse, basically when its at a stand still it will just slowly die out and turn off if I don't give it gas. I had to start it maybe 5 times the other day just tryin to park!

My tuner said it could be carbon built up somewhere. He said 1st try fuel injector cleaner and see if it helps. I've gone thru 3 cans of GUMOUT fuel injector cleaner and STILL no change. He also cleaned my MAF sensor and checked my fuel map, put back the basic map, and STILL no change. He said it can be numerous things so we have to slowly go step by step. He said he's gonna check my IAC Valve but for some reason the d!ckface hasn't done it yet.
Is there a way I can check the IAC myself??

Any info is greatly appreciated, this is gettin me so stressed out. My girl don't use the car because she's afraid she'll stall out in the wrong place wrong time and get into an accident.

P.S. Its an Auto.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Watch your air/fuel ratio when it does that. Mine does it only when coming to a complete stop after coming from high RPMs... if I slowly back down the RPMs it is fine.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,066 Posts
If it were truly carbon... Gumout is a waste of money in my experience. The only (and I mean only) fuel injection cleaners I know that actually clean anything (other than just preventative maintenance) are BG44k and Seafaom... I use BG44K. It is a bit spendy, but does what it is supposed to. You will have to get it at a dealer that sells them (Toyota dealerships or a private shop that is a distributor), or you can get it on ebay sometimes.

But as mentioned, check your A/F and see what is going on when it occurs.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
I had a really good experiences with seafoam.. only thing to know - you oughta be AWAY from your house.. you'll be smoking crazy style

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I check for a vac leak? I do notice I'm only hitting 5psi most of the time if I punch it on the highway, I'm supposed to be @ 7.

Also I don't have a A/F gauge, only a boost gauge...

But thanks for all ur info. Between the tranny slipping and the stalling I'm stuck on what I should do with this car...

EDIT: also, if I put the car in Neutral it won't stall. Say if I'm about to come to a complete stop, but right before I do, I put it in Neutral, it will stay idle and not stall.
Would this still happen if I had a vac leak or would it still stall in neutral??

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You can either make or buy a boost/vacuum leak tester which pressurizes the intake system with about 15psi of air regulated through an air compressor and then you listen for hissing or you can use a soapy solution to find your leaks.

Eric

·
Registered
213 Posts
when hte car is in gear it would be more in vac than in neutral yes?

·
Registered
3 Posts

After I got my tune. My guy told me the car might stall out once in a while when I first start it, and that its nothing wrong, just start it right back up and give it a little gas and it will idle back normally.

NOW when the car is warm, it stalls out at red lights, stop signs, in reverse, basically when its at a stand still it will just slowly die out and turn off if I don't give it gas. I had to start it maybe 5 times the other day just tryin to park!

My tuner said it could be carbon built up somewhere. He said 1st try fuel injector cleaner and see if it helps. I've gone thru 3 cans of GUMOUT fuel injector cleaner and STILL no change. He also cleaned my MAF sensor and checked my fuel map, put back the basic map, and STILL no change. He said it can be numerous things so we have to slowly go step by step. He said he's gonna check my IAC Valve but for some reason the d!ckface hasn't done it yet.

Any info is greatly appreciated, this is gettin me so stressed out. My girl don't use the car because she's afraid she'll stall out in the wrong place wrong time and get into an accident.

P.S. Its an Auto.
[/QUOTE

P.S. Its an Auto.
Hi by chance did you ever figure out why the car was stalling I’m having the same issue with my scion and literally can not figure out why, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts