Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So living in Lubbock we have freak weather. Yesterday it went from 94 degrees to 64 in an hour. Mud fell from the sky and it started hailing golf balls.

Well I was at a softball game with family and when it started hailing I parked my car next to a building so the hail would go over my car. It worked great!

When it stopped hailing I thought that was my opportunity to get home under my covered parking. On the way home I came across a flooded section of road and saw some SUVs and trucks getting through no problem. Then I saw a buick lacrosse and a monte carlo go through and the water didn't even come up to the side of my car so I thought I'd be fine. I start going through and about halfway in my car stalls.

So I push it out of the icy water and it won't turn over. Makes a sound like the battery is dead but my DMM reads 12.8 volts. I have stock intake so I checked that and the air filter and box was soaked. There's a sponge like filter on the top and it was soaked. Took the box off and looked down the hose and it was dry.

So what do you guys think? Is there water in my engine? Did some electrical components just get wet or what?

·
Registered
135 Posts
You see, the problem is even though the water didn't come up to the side of your while standing still, when you're driving through water, your front bumper creates a wave. The faster you go, the higher the wave goes. Eventually, the wave ends up over the front of your hood and, voila!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you guys are right. I had my car towed to a shop here in town. Maybe they can just blow water out of the engine with the spark plug trick. Hopefully I didn't throw a rod or crack my engine or anything.

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
Being that the car was on and running when you decided to play Hunt for Red October, you're pretty much boned.

Gonna have to take the thing apart and let it "air out"

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you guys are right. I had my car towed to a shop here in town. Maybe they can just blow water out of the engine with the spark plug trick. Hopefully I didn't throw a rod or crack my engine or anything.
let us know what you find out man, hope it isnt hydrolocked but theres a good chance it is.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update. The mechanic confirmed the engine was indeed hydrolocked and there is significant internal damage to the engine. he gave me the option to rebuild it or do an engine swap with an engine with roughly the same miles on it. with labor included the engine swap would be cheaper so i went with that. So now im just waiting on the car to be fixed. i may sell my car afterwards. im afraid it will be less reliable now. may get a wrx or sti with low miles.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
Then I saw a buick lacrosse and a monte carlo go through and the water didn't even come up to the side of my car so I thought I'd be fine.
Didn't even? :huh: You're used to it going up even higher?

Live and learn I suppose. I wouldn't be too worried about reliability as long as your mechanic knows what he's doing, though.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Your car won't be any less reliable, unless you decided to drive into another body of water.

You must remember, hard as it is to come to full terms with, you broke your car. The car didn't break. You broke it. I am not saying that to be mean. Just stating the thing to get it out there.

A low mileage 2AZ is one of the most reliable engines on the market. Rarely do they fail where it isn't caused by an outside influence. I would bet vital parts of my anatomy that you could run the replacement engine 200k miles if if properly maintained.

That said, since your immediate thought is to get a much higher output AWD rally style car to replace your tC, I would suggest moving on to something like that. If that is the performance you are wanting now, the tC isn't for you.

Good luck.

·
AWD V8 KILLER!
6,400 Posts
^+100000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts