Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to the forum and had some questions to ask. How is the dealer car cover? is it really worth the $160-$200 price tag? I talked to someone at the dealership and they told me it wasn't worth it, so I was wondering if anyone knew of better alternatives or if the car cover from the dealer is really worth it. When i got my tC on august 11 they told me only options they had regarding handling / suspension was the shocks, springs, and sway bar, when i mentioned the front struts they told me there is no option like that even though that option is listed in the official scion webpage and the suspension work is not. Im thinking of juss ordering the front struts and installing it my self and I was wondering if anyone has some information on the installation process. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ask FrostbytetC...

Oh about the car cover... I was thinking about getting it but someone told me it would probably scratch my car more than protect it...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ok, the front strut tower brace should be a very easy install. All you'll need are basic tools (screw drivers, and a socket wrench set) and about a half hour of time. First start by opening your hood. You may want to make sure your engine is cool, cause it gets hot in there, and I think you like your skin where it is. On, you'll notice that your strut towers are hidden beneath the piece of grey plastic that is under your wind shield wipers. That must be removed. Remove it by poping up the push holders in 4 locations. These are removed by pushing down in the center of them with at philips head, then pulling them up carefully with a flat head.

Then once that is out the the way, remove the lower and inner most of the strut tower bolts.

Then place the bar in there... if it doesn't fit, you either have it upside down, or backwards. Make sure it fits, then tighten the bolts back, and replace the plastic cover.

Here is a pic that I did last night to help you.... a bit...

Hope this helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot FrostbytetC! The pictures make a perfect installation manual haha

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Oh yeah, and about the car cover... I've heard mixed things about car covers in general. All I know is putting one on locks in dirt, moisture, and things like that wich can scratch the paint, and cause mildew. I wouldnt bother unless you're gunna wash and dry your car before you put in on every time. And $200 is nuts for a car cover

·
Registered
793 Posts
WOW....nice pics of the install there, Frost! I was gonna' order one off of eBay but was sorta' wondering what I'd do with it after that....hehe.

Is this something that could turn into a warranty issue later? I mean, if you get the "proper" brace, is there really any way you could install it incorrectly and Scion could take advantage of it later?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oh and another question, but maybe more sorta' general than specifically for this topic....

When you add something like the strut bar onto your car, it's obviously not on the sticker. BUT, if you get the dealer to do it...do they redo a sticker or anything like that, showing that it's part of the car/labor covered under warranty?

Just thinking in terms of reselling the car (if I ever get stupid enough to want to do that)....then it'd be nice to have for documentation.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Aug 16 2004, 07:49 AM
WOW....nice pics of the install there, Frost! I was gonna' order one off of eBay but was sorta' wondering what I'd do with it after that....hehe.

Is this something that could turn into a warranty issue later? I mean, if you get the "proper" brace, is there really any way you could install it incorrectly and Scion could take advantage of it later?
Hmm... if something were to happen to your car and the Scion guys talk about voiding warranty... wouldn't it have to do with the strut towers since that is the only thing it really affects??? I'm not quite sure... Anyways... if something does go wrong... take your strut brace off before you take it to the dealers... that way they never knew it was there. If you take your tC in for maintenance at the dealers... then take it to another one that hasn't seen your car...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be pretty messed up for them to void the warranty because of the front strut, when the strut is an factory option and its such a simple install. There really should be no way the front strut will cause a problem. Well has anyone asked the dealer if installin the strut will cause any warranty problems? I would really like to know before I get it done, so i can uninstall it everytime i take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by AsianStyle@Aug 16 2004, 08:59 AM
That would be pretty messed up for them to void the warranty because of the front strut, when the strut is an factory option and its such a simple install. There really should be no way the front strut will cause a problem. Well has anyone asked the dealer if installin the strut will cause any warranty problems? I would really like to know before I get it done, so i can uninstall it everytime i take it to the dealer.
Haha... I don't think it will be a problem. I can't think of what can go wrong because you have the struts. I mean... its kinda like extra support right? I really don't think you will have a warranty problem... but then again... I haven't ask my dealer about this particular item.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea there really shouldn't be a problem but still would like to know if they will say something to me because I forgot to take it off when I take it in for service. I would call up my dealer but they dont believe the front struts exsist haha so yea Im waiting for somebody to reply about what their dealer says.

·
Registered
793 Posts
OK, just talked to the dealership...was told that as long as it's the same part that is offered by the factory, the strut bar and anti-sway bar won't cause warranty issues.

Originally I misspoke and asked about just the front strut (which apparently is something that would involved using a machine for compression and blah blah blah)....and that would be a bit more involved and a little more difficult to answer. :rollseyes:

So anyways, there you have it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Aug 16 2004, 08:19 AM
OK, just talked to the dealership...was told that as long as it's the same part that is offered by the factory, the strut bar and anti-sway bar won't cause warranty issues.

Originally I misspoke and asked about just the front strut (which apparently is something that would involved using a machine for compression and blah blah blah)....and that would be a bit more involved and a little more difficult to answer. :rollseyes:

So anyways, there you have it.
That's not quite true...

There's no warranty issue if it's the same part as they offer as OEM equipment and it's installed properly.

I'm not meaning to imply that anyone here might not install something properly; just letting you know what the dealer can throw back at you later on in the event that there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Aug 16 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally I misspoke and asked about just the front strut (which apparently is something that would involved using a machine for compression and blah blah blah)....and that would be a bit more involved and a little more difficult to answer.
Huh... machine for compression??? what are you talking about?

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL, first I didn't quite explain my post well enough...

he said the strut bar and anti-sway bar wouldn't cause issues (b/c they are so easy to install)...but we didn't talk about any other parts.

And imasaf, I have no idea what he was talking about...but apparently it was something completely different. Was thinking maybe if I posted about his comment someone could elaborate on what he was thinking...hehe.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, well to answer your questions, I talked to the guy at my dealership, and he said that as long as they check your work after you install it, it will not void your warranty and in some cases can even be added to your warranty as long as they are items that you got through the dealer. However, this does not cover TRD items gotten else where. Not that a strut tower brace can void anything, but if you got an intake from somewhere else, even if it is the same one that you could have gotten through the dealer, they may hassle you about it. Its a tough spot. If I were you, i'd ask your sales person and get it in writing if at all possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts