Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Well honestly a caps and cap just don't get a generic cap off of ebay (those work the same too) but in the audio world and using them...its pointless IMO. Without a bigger alternator your screwed anyhow...

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im planning on upgrading my alternator but i will need time to get the money to do it so i was hopeing a cap might help untill i get a new alternator and battery. how much would it cost to get the alternator installed? and can u run 2 alternators in a tC?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Instead of stacking alternators, just get one big one. They can run anywhere from 400 - 1,000

Somebody mentioned getting the stock alternator wound up tighter or something along those lines that might be a way to go but I don't know how that works. Right now the stock alternator puts out 100 amps which can handle a good amount for short periods. Upgrade your battery to a yellow top and then keep saving up for the new alternator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats pretty much what i was going to do but i thought a cap might help aid the alternator and battery. i know how much new alternators are, but any idea of how much they are to get installed, and do all alternators pretty much fit in any car?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]@May 9 2005, 06:00 PM
thats pretty much what i was going to do but i thought a cap might help aid the alternator and battery. i know how much new alternators are, but any idea of how much they are to get installed, and do all alternators pretty much fit in any car?
a cap will not help one bit for what you are planning..it just won't period. There are alternator places in your town that will re-wind you current alternator to yeild aprox 20-40 more amps but they cannot be wound too tight or they won't function correctly.

Just save up to get a better alternator...getting a cap would be a waist of good time and valueable money

·
Registered
509 Posts
240 would be really nice to have. I would think somewhere in the 150 range. That HK2000D amp really only draws out 160 amps, any more and the fueses will start the blow.

Like me I have 100amp fues on my wire so my wires will fry before my amps do. Thank god.

Michael

·
Registered
509 Posts
caps store energy so when your amps call for an extra surge in power (normally during its peak hits) the caps can discharge that energy quicker and in a shorter distance.

On some systems you'll play a song and when the bass hits you hear a small delay, this is when you need a cap. Good for getting rid of those delays. Thats it, so they do serve a good purpose, just not the purpose everybody thinks they serve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.