Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I've yet to see anyone explain why a capacitor would ever be necessary. Our own audio experts have said that capacitors are essentially pointless for car audio applications.

·
Registered
730 Posts
tCPower-

IMHO basilisk is absolutely correct. Capacitors will not solve charging system issues. And most modern amplifiers will not really benefit from adding a cap. Just a waste of money in my opinion. I have almost 1100 watts in my tC with no caps, stock batt and alternator. My old Tacoma had over1800 watts with no caps, a SVR battery and stock alternator and it ran for 4 years w/ that system w/o a hitch.

Hey Marty, how's the audio system doin BTW???

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
IMHO wolo is absolutely correct. Flux Capacitors will solve time travel system issues. And most modern Deloreans will really benefit from adding a flux cap. Just a great use of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dont have any proof or fact to back this up, but I have seen some evidence of it helping in my car. I had a 92 toyota corolla. I installed a nice system after about 1 year of driving it. It pulled mabey 60 amps total. A few months after, my alternator went out so I replaced it with one that had a lifetime warranty. About 6 months later it went out again. So I replaced it again. Again 4-6 months later it died. I was getting pretty good at replacing them by now. Well about the same time I replaced it for the third time.. I rewired this system with a 1 farad cap and a good circuit breaker. Never went out again. Since then I've installed a more powerful system in my supra. But this time I didnt put a cap. Its been running fine for at least a year. I figure its from having a much more capable alternator but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman@Mar 23 2005, 02:49 AM
Hey Marty, how's the audio system doin BTW???
Greg, the new system is GREAT. Once I took off the high-pass filter on the front speakers (that's how the installers had it set up initially), the sound has been rich and full, and the Alpine Type-S sub is phenomenal. I am pretty darn happy with it all. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Mar 23 2005, 10:49 AM
^^^ Are you referring to the flying version or the one prior that only drove on the road?
Well once you get the road version up and running, there's no reason not to go to the future and hook up the sweet flying mod. Not to mention the thing that will turn ordinary household garbage into 1.81 jiggawatts of electricity.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah I would say that there is no need for a capacitor I have a 800 Watt system in my TC and everything is working perfectly...so I agree with Alpman...he would know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
okay so i have ahd a cap for about half off the time i have had my currnet stereo....and i didnt need it....but i was told that if i didnt want my headlights to dim when the bass hit a cap would "help" ....i found this to be true...
like everyone is saying, performance wise they are unneccessary, but the headlight thing bugged me, and it did help wiht tthat

·
Registered
59 Posts
on my 96 accord with an 80amp alt, i've run up to 500rms (in a class a/b amp) with no dimming, anything past that it starts dimming

just think of the capacitor as a bandaid, it doesn't solve the problem, its just a temporary fix

the best thing to do, its upgrade the "big 3/magic 3" wires, search on google about those, its just replacing 3 main wires under your hood, it'll greatly increase the output of your electrical system, most of the time it takes away dimming and voltage drops

if the big 3 didn't help, then get an optima yellowtop, if that doesn't help, then u must be running alot of power, and you might want to look for a High Output Alternator

·
Registered
252 Posts
Capacitors cannot charge to a higher voltage than is available so it does nothing to help a charging system the is over-taxed. They discharge quickly and then need to be recharged by the alternator. You could argue that they actually reduce available voltage to the system (they become an additional load).
To any manufacturer that recommends capacitors (especially ones that sell them) I would ask "why should I give you another $XX to make you amp work right?" "Shouldn't it have been designed right the first time?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.