Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a CAI actually hurt the engine during the wintertime? I live up in the northeast US and having a CAI in below-freezing temperatures doesn't sound too smart! Double-shot of cold hitting a warm/hot engine?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's no worse than any other intake. Your stock intake gets its air from the wheelwell the same as your CAI, and it has no issues with cold air.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 22 2005, 11:40 PM
It's no worse than any other intake. Your stock intake gets its air from the wheelwell the same as your CAI, and it has no issues with cold air.
how about rain and other wet elements like that?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
For which? The CAI or the OEM intake?

BTW, I plan to go to the track very soon. I also hope to borrow Eric's CAI so I can do some A/B runs with the OEM intake and his CAI to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the OEM airbox gives up nothing to the CAI marketers. However, I do intend to make it an apples to apples comparison: high flow filter in the OEM airbox to match the high flow filter on the CAI.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 23 2005, 12:14 AM
BTW, I plan to go to the track very soon. I also hope to borrow Eric's CAI so I can do some A/B runs with the OEM intake and his CAI to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the OEM airbox gives up nothing to the CAI marketers. However, I do intend to make it an apples to apples comparison: high flow filter in the OEM airbox to match the high flow filter on the CAI.
i look forward to seeing your results

·
Registered
244 Posts
for a CAI my friend told me to get an AEM because it has a filter or something so that when it rains it wont damage it. not too sure what that means, i dont know much about intake and exhause yet

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by tearCatcher@Sep 23 2005, 12:48 AM
for a CAI my friend told me to get an AEM because it has a filter or something so that when it rains it wont damage it. not too sure what that means, i dont know much about intake and exhause yet
You mean a bypass valve, it prevents water from getting into the intake manifold, I believe K&N does'nt offer one which is why i havn't gotten one, not sure about injen though...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by superchargedscion+Sep 23 2005, 04:53 AM-->QUOTE (superchargedscion @ Sep 23 2005, 04:53 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-tearCatcher
@Sep 23 2005, 12:48 AM
You mean a bypass valve, it prevents water from getting into the intake manifold, I believe K&N does'nt offer one which is why i havn't gotten one, not sure about injen though... [/b]
that bypass thing can be used on Any CAI that is a 2 piece pipe setup...all it is like a coupler that you clamp on inbetween the connection of the 2 pipes instead of using the silicone couplers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by 05Xrunner+Sep 23 2005, 05:03 AM-->QUOTE (05Xrunner @ Sep 23 2005, 05:03 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2005, 04:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-tearCatcher
@Sep 23 2005, 12:48 AM

You mean a bypass valve, it prevents water from getting into the intake manifold, I believe K&N does'nt offer one which is why i havn't gotten one, not sure about injen though...
that bypass thing can be used on Any CAI that is a 2 piece pipe setup...all it is like a coupler that you clamp on inbetween the connection of the 2 pipes instead of using the silicone couplers. [/b]
exactly. If the filter head sucks in water it automatically converts to a short ram by changing the intake point to the bypass valve (coupler) and locking out any moisture that may have entered the cai.

to answer the original question, during the winter time, the hp gains of a cai wont be as dramatic over the stock intake system as it would in hot weather, but the extra dose of cold air won't hurt your motor at all. Unless you suck in water thru the filter head by driving thru a deep puddle or snow or something. My advice...living in the northeast, I'd take out the cai or at least convert it to a short ram or install a bypass valve for the winter, just to be on the safe side. The last thing you want to happen is to hydro-lock your motor

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have to shop around a little.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Im sorry, and i'm not going to get into why, but those bypass valve's are the dumbest waiste of money for cars that arent going to completely submerge their air intake, ie: Rally car's.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You'd be amazed at how many dumb people there are out there who think they can drive through standing water with an intake less than a foot off the ground. I've heard lots of them complain on scionlife about hydrolocking their engines. I am truly amazed...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 24 2005, 12:47 AM
You'd be amazed at how many dumb people there are out there who think they can drive through standing water with an intake less than a foot off the ground. I've heard lots of them complain on scionlife about hydrolocking their engines. I am truly amazed...
It's amazing to me that people are dumb enough to think that these bypass valve's are somehow a answer to their every fear... "When it rains, and water gets into the intake, the bypass valve keeps the water from hydrolocking my engine!" -taken fron scionlife.

Good grief. I would love to get them all together and let one of them volunteer their car with the bypass on it for a test. Let me take a hose, and from, say... 10 feet away, spray water at their filter. Much like the spray they would pick up from inside the fenderwell with that little plastic piece removed for "an air ram effect!". Lets see if their bypass valve saves the engine. THey dont understand that spray can still get inside, way more than needed to hydrolock the engine, and that unless almost the entire surface of the filter is submerged, the bypass valve is not going to have the necessary negative pressure to "open", and meanwhile, their is plenty of spray/droplets getting up inside the engine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by 05Xrunner@Sep 24 2005, 07:26 PM
here you go...Do some research a little before you complain about some things

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/010...sted/index.html
Whoa no, that test is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to SUBMERGE the intake in water for the pressure to spike enought to open the bypass valves. And that bypass valve is not going to do jack for spray/any water sucked in that doesnt completely seal off the filter. Read what I wrote before you complain about what I have seen first hand.

Ps. If you did read what i wrote, you'd notice I never said it didn't work... I just said that it's another one of those mods that people throw on their cars because it sounds good in design, but unless they're driving through 2 foot puddles, it's not going to help them. And then they get angry when they blow their engine because of water. "How could this happen?" Just another instance of people putting faith in something without understanding it's uses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You do know some mist and water in there isnt going to cause any major damage. Have you ever even heard of water injection. used to help against detonation. So if you are getting a little bit of spritz in there..its not going to hurt you. Its when you suck down a big gulp.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by 05Xrunner@Sep 25 2005, 06:21 PM
You do know some mist and water in there isnt going to cause any major damage. Have you ever even heard of water injection. used to help against detonation. So if you are getting a little bit of spritz in there..its not going to hurt you. Its when you suck down a big gulp.
Yes. Helped put several systems in on drag cars running low low 6's with a buddy.

We're talking about civic's, tc's, etc. And talking about the moronicy (if its not a word it is now
) of people wondering why their engine is detonated from hydrolock when they have a bypass valve.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I would like to see how these people get that much water in there to begin with. I mean unless you are driving through a flood..how does it get up in there. If they are placing them in that poor of a location then I dont know what to say...unless you tried out the bypass the way you wanna see it work you are not gonna get your answer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.