Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after having the car for three months I decided to check how is my cabin air filter doing... Guess what - I don't have it. All I have is an empty tray.

Check yours. I have a feeling that I'm not an exception here...

The filter is behind the glovebox, above the heater. You'll see the tray clips once you take off the glovebox.

Should we start a groupbuy?

·
Registered
619 Posts
ya know i havnt checked but i doubt i have one seeing as i always smell whats out side. Vents opened or not.

as far as a group buy, if we are supposed to have this souldnt toyota install it for free?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard dealers saying that it's not supposed to come with the car. But I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a free one from my dealer... Or another dealer that owes me a bunch of favors...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't have one either, but I just went and bought a nice filter (3M 1250) and then cut it to size. It was $15 for the filter and I can get AT LEAST 3-4 cuts from that once peice.

The filter is rated the best by ConsumerReports, and it makes car smell so clean. Not to mention the cost... I mean, the dealer wanted about $20-$30 for just ONE filter, that's insane and I'm sure it's not as good.

Oh well... that's my input though...

·
Registered
299 Posts
interesting.. im gonna have to check that.. but hell.. i dun even know how to take out my glove box!!!..
i tried once when i went to adjust my security sensitivity but it wouldnt come off and i didn't want to break it... i did manage to adjust my security but the glove box never came off!!!!>..

so how does one take off the glove box? and i've read the security install manual and the arrows on how to take off the glove box don't help.. so a nice verbal tutorial would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The 3M filters are made for what purpose? I mean is it made for the home, the air filters people have, etc.??? Where should I look to get one?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Home depot / lowes in the section with home air filters. There are a lot of them. I'd say too many.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 3M filter is made for the home... I got it at Home Depot for a little over $15. The model I used, 3M 1250, was excellent in Dust Removal, fiar in smoke removal, and good in air flow resistance according to ConsumerReports... and it's their top rated one. I know it may be a little overkill, but it's the same one I use in the home and I figured that if I get 4 uses for $15 (change every 3 months) then it's not that bad...

Ok, I'll stop my rambling... LOL... let me know if you need more info.

- Andrew

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ok... went to home depot today and picked up the 3M one. It was 15.97 or something and it was big enough to get 6 filters. What I noticed was that the smaller ones cost the same... so I bought the biggest one they got which was a 20 x 25. Overall it was a real easy install... took only a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, no filter on my car either. I'll have to get one... but i'm not going to get it from the dealership. The way I see it, is if they dealership is too cheap to include it, then why should I give them the business? I'm going to home depot!

·
Registered
619 Posts
i wanted to revisit this and see how your filters are holding up? did they restrict the air speed coming from the vents?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just curious how much we actually need one of those filters. I've got one of those ionizers that I plug into the 12V socket...takes care of smells pretty well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Filter helps a lot with dust in the cabin - keeps everything cleaner (including your lungs).

Oh, I got the filter from an Echo in mine - took the tray to the dealer and they found a filter that would fit.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Used a corolla filter I trimmed in mine and stuck a couple of dryer sheets in with it.
Keeps the car smelling nice.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
nice, getting creative. I have to get around to that too. It's way too often that I drive by a school bus with windows/vents closed and my cabin is full of the exhaust smell.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried dryer sheet in my matrix once - the scent was so strong that I took it out pretty fast. I guess it depends on the brand

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's funny! I just stuck a dryer sheet under the seat when I got home today. Now, I'll have to remove my glove compartment and insert a filter this weekend...or...that ionizer thingee, where did you get it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Feb 14 2005, 12:46 PM
I tried dryer sheet in my matrix once - the scent was so strong that I took it out pretty fast. I guess it depends on the brand
The scent was incredibly strong for the first couple of days, but it mellowed out and now the car just smells fresh.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts