Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a fresh start for an old idea, so new people who may be interested wont have to sift through 8 pages of off topic stuff to see whats going on. its time to get this back in our heads, i think. so, i have changed the date, and it is up for tweaking if necessary. new rsvp's from everyone interested are requested.

taken from my original post:

this may turn out to be a group of two or three cars joining, but i am inviting everyone. this is not for the weak at heart, nor is it for those concerned with drives being "too long". this is for those who want to push themselves, and their cars. i am going. i know wolo has been chomping at the bit for this drive. here it is. the mother of all california roads. how do i know? i rode it on my bike. blew my rear tire at the halfway mark. this road is a motherf#cker. got balls? then join me.

this is bliss

the drive will take some time. first off, we have to get to red bluff. the from red bluff to the coast. and from there to the bay area if we can, and back home.

i expect to hash out the details of when we do this with those who are interested. wolo, lo bux racer, eric, moriarty, eric gladden, zygote55, and anyone else in the nor cal area with enough gumption... this is a good drive. trust me. and look at the map. this road rules. lets do it.

i submit sunday june 12, early AM for departure. who's in?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, this is me rsvp-ing.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I might drive to Red Bluff on Saturday and get a hotel room to party the night before and still feel good about going for a drive on Sunday. We definitely have to bring a video cam and recording media!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i was tossing around the idea of a saturday night sleep over in red bluff as well. count me in for that.

i would like to be leaving out of red bluff NTL 10am. figure it at a 130 mile hike from the sac area to red bluff. if you are leaving sunday morning out of sac - probably should be on the road by 7 so you can catch a breather before we hit 36.

anyone else besides lance and i going on this?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excellent. eric? mori?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm out. I had turned in my vacation for the first week of June based on the other thread that closed down. Too late to adjust anything
but don't worry about me - I'll just have to find another time to drive out to Cali and visit. Boooo I'm gonna miss it. But at least I have Dragon's Tail to console me over.

Now I'll just have free time to relax. Yay. LoL

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats cool. you find a time to make it out here, we will hold an event. make it worth your trip. actually, with a couple events in the planning stages right now, keep on your toes. may be something you would want to catch.

so, from what i can tell, this is going to be lance, wolo, and myself. we were hoping for a couple more people. oh well. guess we are the only driving geeks in norcal.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
So, we need a complete route. It would be cool to go through Arcata and visit Humboldt Brewery for one of my favorite Hemp Ales. I see it is 140 miles from Red Bluff to Fortuna where the road seems to take a chill pill, but there are some options. Also, we need to plan to get home sometime Sunday. Sure, it's a month out right now, but June 12th will be on us in no time. Let's plan for Red Bluff Saturday night, early start Sunday morning, and leisurely return (if possible...)

Ideas, comments???

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree, we should definitely meet up there on saturday night. leaving out of red bluff sunday morning, it is 140 miles to the coast. however, i assure you it is not a two hour drive. around 3 hours i think would be a safe estimate. that puts us in hydesville, and needing to head south. down 101 for a stretch and we will hit the avenue of giants, a 31 mile stretch through the redwoods. we can take 101 down to SF by way of the GGB, or we can take the richmond bridge and bypass the ggb. the other possibility is cutting over hwy 20. i have absolutely no data on hwy 20. all in all, i will estimate our sunday drive at about 8 hours. if we hit the road around 9am, we should be back in sacto in time to watch the family guy no problem.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Hwy 20 blows chunks in the summer time. Two lanes around Clear Lake, and huge lines of traffic that are just too much to pass. Plus, when you get back to the Valley, it's one of the most boring sections of I-5 from Williams to Sactown. I think SF traffic after that kind of drive will be a tad on the intense side though. What about going north to 299 and heading back to Redding, then I-5 cruise and snooze all the way home?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 17 2005, 01:08 AM
Hwy 20 blows chunks in the summer time. Two lanes around Clear Lake, and huge lines of traffic that are just too much to pass. Plus, when you get back to the Valley, it's one of the most boring sections of I-5 from Williams to Sactown. I think SF traffic after that kind of drive will be a tad on the intense side though. What about going north to 299 and heading back to Redding, then I-5 cruise and snooze all the way home?
thats an option. though that stretch of 5 sucks like a hoover.

wolo, mori - input?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay. 36 to 101 to 299 to 5. i'm in.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Coolio. Hope the weather and traffic gods are benevolent for this one. I checked my Hiltion Honors site for the nearest Hilton property (they treat me right) and it's a Hilton Garden Inn in Redding. There is a Hampton Inn and Suites under construction in Red Bluff, but it won't be ready for guests until June 16th. I plan to stay there to keep adding to my frequent traveler benefits.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.