Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
today a strange smell of burning plastic is coming from my tc. I can smell it in cabin and from outside of car. its pretty strong i cant seem to determine where its coming from. I opened the hood and couldn't smell anything from there.

any guess as to what it could be?

· Registered
1,412 Posts
hmm take that to a dealer b4 you catch on fire.

· Registered
1,795 Posts
^^^ Ok... did you look under the car to see if you got a plastic baggy stuck to the bottom. Had that happen to me once and it was so stinky... the plastic bag had melted from the heat of the car and kinda glued itself to the bottom. The smell was there forever....

· Registered
1,276 Posts
do you have a 5spd or an auto? the smell you're smelling may be the clutch, if you have a 5spd. Other than that, I have no idea. Hope you solve your problem.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i actually did check for a bag, but didn't see anything. dealer saw it as i by coincidence had taken in for oil change (this was after i first smelled it). it suppose it could be melted, but if so it is too small for me to see without having car raised.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Plastic bag on the muffler, clutch, oil - in that order. but oil would stink in the engine bay a lot while "muffler" smell can easily get inside the car. I had several packaging peanuts burn in my TRD muffler on the Matrix and I could smell them for couple of days. Freaked me out, too..

· Registered
6,498 Posts
I had a plastic bag stick to my muffler in my last car, and I could smell burning plastic for literally months, even after I pulled off as much of the bag as I could...

· Registered
45 Posts
Ditto on the plastic bag. Ran over one on the highway in my last car and it got hooked on an exhaust bracket. There wasn't much I could do as it immediately glued itself to the hot exhaust piping. The smell lasted for weeks. Mine was a black bag, so it was obvious (well that and when it floated in front of me I didnt see it go out the back so I knew it stuck). You're might have been a clear bag that is harder to see.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can smell it within minutes of starting car, so whatever it is, is getting hot fast.
i have looked under car best i can. didn't see anything by muffler. not sure where clutch is. if its a bag, its probably pretty well melted in place by now. probably not much i can do....

· Registered
606 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Oct 18 2004, 01:27 PM
I noticed a odd smell too.... i heard it had something to do with the new CAT. or something like that. some new engine break in smell.... just a guess.
but not all of us have it. that's the mystery....

· Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Oct 18 2004, 12:27 PM
I noticed a odd smell too.... i heard it had something to do with the new CAT. or something like that. some new engine break in smell.... just a guess.
i smelt it a little on my first 100 miles...went away after the first day i had it.

but imma go check for any bags under my car..lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.