Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer today to get an estimate on the repairs to my r.s 1.0 and they want to charge me 18% of what the car is worth!!!I was shocked all they're going to do is replace the quarter panel because supposably its unrepairable but the damage isn't that bad so what do u guys think ? is it BS or what.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i think lo bux had some damage that cost around that much to fix...i dont think they are BSing you

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I had the whole passenger side repainted along with a lot of sheet metal work - door, rear quarter, rear bumper. Total bill was $1900.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Sep 13 2005, 11:13 PM
I got two large scrathes on my drivers side door and a new rim after a retard drove into me. It wasn't my fault so I went to the dealer and it cost 6,441 bucks. Luckily I didn't pay it.
What I would have done is get the estimate, get the check from the insurance company - buy all parts myself, fix everything I could myself, shop for a bodyshop to do the rest, pocket $5K.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, if $5K means nothing to you - congrats. Achieving this at an age of 27 is definitely something.

Toyota body shop is just it - a bodyshop with Toyota sign at the entrance. They can do crappy job, just as some mom and pop shop can do amazing job. Price has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Sep 13 2005, 08:29 PM
Why, I have plenty of money.
damn i wanna be this guy!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
people trying to find good deals on body and paint work will get exactly what is coming to them - a crap job for less money.

paint and body is a freakin art form, it takes a LOT of work to get it flawless. a lot of work costs a lot of money. if you arent a body man, dont try to second guess the man hours associated with body repair. we have spent weeks in the garage doing final prep work on a car prior to paint. after body repair was complete. because there is no replacement for a properly prepped surface. if you want waves in your body, cracking and peeling paint, surface contaminants under the clear, and poorly matched color, sure, find your discount place. if you want someone who is going to make sure when you get it back you cant tell you ever took it to a body shop (even years later), spend the money to have it done right.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
d, you have to agree that high price is not always an indicator of high quality.

- "How much for this chicken?"
- "$300"
- "Why the hell so expensive?"
- "I need money, man..."

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Maybe I should reword that phrase. I am happy well off but realize that more money in my pocket wouldn't make me more happy. I would rather get the job done right and not collect more money. Money doesn't create happiness and if you don't worry about money it seems to build by itself. What i'm saying is when I stopped worrying about money I started making more money.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Money by itself does not make you happy. It's the large quantities of money that makes you happy

One Russian sci-fi novel had this phrase that I remember since I was a kid - something along the lines of "you have enough money when you are not thinking about money".

·
Registered
31 Posts
True..True.. have your money make money for you........but anyway, its true that some shops try and get the best of people, but dont forget that they use their little book of rough estimate cost..... basicly it says that any sertain job takes so much time and cost so much......aka.. what they tell you for a price...even though it could take them only a few hours and little work....... so i guess just ask around and try and find the shop/garage that fits your needs and is up to your satisfaction of quality...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Sep 14 2005, 08:00 AM
d, you have to agree that high price is not always an indicator of high quality.
very true, very true. as witnessed by the price tag on a corvette, for instance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.