Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many miles does your car have to get before it breaks in...Also whne your car breaks in does your motor get stronger then if its still not broken in???...My car is currently at 1200 miles and I dont know if itll get any stronger then it is right now...I know Im stupid but I have pushed my car a couple times already (but not very hard) and I wanted to see if my motor is actually stronger breaking in...can I get some input???

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
1k miles is the break-in period... the manual suggests a gentle break-in while I prescribe to the drive it hard break-in.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
My break-in is very similar to Motoman's. My street method is more like his dyno method though. I don't tell anyone to break the speed limit, but when I break-in an engine, I'm not paying much attention to the speed limit at all. I just make sure I'm in a place where it isn't so important.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
after reading motoman's page i wish i had pushed it hard the first day i got it. but i may have missed the break in period any ways... i had 23 miles on it when i got the car

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You can still it, you have to fully open the motor up to really break it in properly. I have seen more than one case where grandma never got into her throttle and the engine just got carbon build up all over the place. I'll never forget this 1983 Buick we got it that was running bad, 17,000 miles mind you, to church and back mainly. Well as soon as we start looking at the engine we decided to run it through the RPMs and see what happened. Everytime it went about about 4000 it just choked, so we put some cleaner in the fuel (SeaFoam) and just mashed on the throttle, thick black smoke, and even chunks of crap came flying out the exhaust. Just wanted to share what happens when you never open a car up, and i like telling stories

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i floor it every once in a while... but i did break it in according to the owners manual... i hope the guy that drove it from one dealer to the one i bought it at had some fun and floored it a few times.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sigh, first you dont have to get your first oil change at 1000 miles and now this......
i dont know who to believe anymore.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
To be safe, follow the owners manual. Some of our members have vast experience with engine internals are are qualified to make judgements on such things wit a greater knowledge than the rest of us. I just followed to manual.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Thanks goodness there are no rocker arms in the 2AZ.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm confused now.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So without putting miles on the car... do you just let it idle until it's warm - then run it to break it in? Or do you drive it to warm it up and then "run it" to break it in... I was reading that you should let it warm up, but how exactly do you do that? Maybe someone could run me through th process...

?? Please?

·
Registered
958 Posts
i think this was discussed before.. but I have a friend that is the head mechanic at honda.. told me that "breaking in" isn't necessary.. but i decided to follow the manual b/c i'm paranoid?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.