Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On regular occasion when I take a turn and hit the brakes (especially if there is a bump in the road, like turning into a drive)my tC's brakes have felt like they have been grinding. Anyone have any idea what that might be? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I believe you're feeling the ABS...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 27 2004, 05:04 AM
Agreed... probably is ABS. If you've never owned a car with ABS before... when they kick in for the first time you'll think you just broke your car. Feels retarded! Anyways, thats probably what you felt!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
holy crap, the same thing happened to me on the way to work today. Some jerk stopped short, and I was comin down a hill, so I hit the brakes, felt and sounded like I destroyed my car from the grinding....scared the bejesus outta me. I was gonna post a separate thread for this, good to see I'm not the only one. Friggin ABS sucked today, they kept slipping and I had to swerve into a driveway so I wouldn't hit the lexus in front of me. Whew.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Looks like thanks to people like that (who don't think reading owners manual is worth the time and yell "my car is crap - it broke when I pushed the brake pedal") Scion is rated worse than KIA by JD Power:

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Ever since I found out what "initial quality" actually means, I don't care about my car's "initial quality" rating...I'm far more concerned about the quality 3, 5, and 10 years down the road. As if Toyota is going to make cars that just fall apart within a year anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC+Sep 27 2004, 06:54 AM-->QUOTE (FrostbytetC @ Sep 27 2004, 06:54 AM)
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 27 2004, 05:04 AM
Agreed... probably is ABS. If you've never owned a car with ABS before... when they kick in for the first time you'll think you just broke your car. Feels retarded! Anyways, thats probably what you felt! [/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-toyota / scion technical information system

CHASSIS — BRAKE
Service Tip
CH-44
BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM (ABS WITH EBD)
1. General
The brake control system (ABS with EBD) of tC has the following functions:
Function Outline

ABS
(Anti-lock Brake System)
The ABS helps prevent the wheels from locking when the brakes are applied firmly
or when braking on a slippery surface.

EBD
(Electronic Brake
force Distribution)
The EBD control utilizes ABS, realizing the proper brake force distribution between
front and rear wheels in accordance with the driving conditions.
In addition, during cornering braking, it also controls the brake forces of right and
left wheels, helping to maintain the vehicle behavior.

When brake control system is activated, the brake pedal could shudder, which is a normal occurrence
of the system in operation and should not be considered a malfunction.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Initial Quality is important only if you actually have a REAL problem. Most people complain about minor things, really. Say after a week of owning a car, you had to get your car serviced because the engine keeps dying as you drive. Initial Quality isn't reliable as the 3-5-10 year quality ranks but it still serves a purpose... too bad it's marred by minor complaints. Scion CD Door Dash can be considered a complaint

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would guess that your average tC/Scion owner is younger and possibly a first time buyer. That would account for a larger number of complaints.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by oldster@Sep 30 2004, 02:36 PM
I would guess that your average tC/Scion owner is younger and possibly a first time buyer. That would account for a larger number of complaints.
Exaclty

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Sep 27 2004, 02:21 PM
Looks like thanks to people like that (who don't think reading owners manual is worth the time and yell "my car is crap - it broke when I pushed the brake pedal") Scion is rated worse than KIA by JD Power:
Umm....Hi there....I read my entire manual, but you know what?

Today I pulled out of a car wash and stopped at the parking lot's exit and I could have sworn I broke something on my car....I looked out my rear window half expecting to see my engine or muffler or something laying there on the ground.

I took a deep breath and pulled out onto the road, hoping and praying I wouldn't hear anything scraping the road as I drove off. I drove down the road just a bit and then pulled into a parking lot to give my car a quick once-over since I was paranoid about it.

The pavement wasn't wet and I didn't brake any harder than I normally do, so I wasn't automatically assuming it was the ABS. (Especially since this is the first car I've had with ABS and it didn't feel like the pedal did anything weird...I just heard a funky noise and something felt like it broke in the middle of my car...)

If hokub3 had immediately called Scion to complain about the issue, then I'd have to question his thought process....but by him posting on this site to ask about something he thought was a bit strange, I don't blame him at all. That's one of the reasons people post on the site....to share experiences and learn more about their car. If someone is going to judge me for asking about how things should or shouldn't work on my car, then perhaps I'm not a member of the right forum....

(Sorry, but I've had an off-day and it annoys me that someone just automatically assumes that hokub3 hasn't read the manual, or implies that he's part of the Scion intial quality rating problem.....)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just decided to test the ABS today.. It sounded AWFUL! I felt a hard *thump* followed by the worst grinding noise i've ever heard from a car -- all coming from the front right wheel, both times I tried it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong, necessarily, but compared to the other ABS systems I've heard, this was just plain horrible to listen to.

In the past, I've also felt the EBD.. but that was just a mild ABS-like pull, but it still freaked me out a little bit at first, but if I know it's gonna happen, it won't bother me to expect it the next time.

Right now, I'm really hoping that the ABS is 'supposed' to make that terrible noise.. if not.. I'd actually hope it will lead to a recall.

-K

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are different ABS systems out there, and the noise and rumble is affected by the weight of the car, size of the rotors, transmission, road condition, etc. ad nauseum. My Pacifica makes almost no noise. Other cars make a heck of lot more.

Short and sweet of it is that there can be many different sounds in different cars.

The upshot is this. ABS only works when you slam the brakes and the sensors pick up a difference in traction between the four tires. If there is no difference, ABS won't come. Just like when you slowly brake to a stop.

So, if you hear that noise when you don't slam on the brakes, you don't hear that noise when you do and your car slides all over the place, you keep hearing that noise when you take your foot off the brakes, or when your ABS light comes on, have it looked at.

Oh, and ABS is not a silver bullet. It can be defeated by road conditions, your driving, and so on. Like air bags, it is a safety device to help you in the event of an emergency -- not to stake your life on.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
So Statisticly, we have 1.5 problems with our car before we drive it off the lot. Right....

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty+Sep 27 2004, 01:07 PM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ Sep 27 2004, 01:07 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-toyota / scion technical information system

CHASSIS — BRAKE
Service Tip
CH-44
BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM (ABS WITH EBD)
1. General
The brake control system (ABS with EBD) of tC has the following functions:
Function Outline

ABS
(Anti-lock Brake System)
The ABS helps prevent the wheels from locking when the brakes are applied firmly
or when braking on a slippery surface.

EBD
(Electronic Brake
force Distribution)
The EBD control utilizes ABS, realizing the proper brake force distribution between
front and rear wheels in accordance with the driving conditions.
In addition, during cornering braking, it also controls the brake forces of right and
left wheels, helping to maintain the vehicle behavior.

When brake control system is activated, the brake pedal could shudder, which is a normal occurrence
of the system in operation and should not be considered a malfunction.
[/b]
I say again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by k_splay@Oct 1 2004, 11:30 AM
I just decided to test the ABS today.. It sounded AWFUL!  I felt a hard *thump* followed by the worst grinding noise i've ever heard from a car -- all coming from the front right wheel, both times I tried it.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong, necessarily, but compared to the other ABS systems I've heard, this was just plain horrible to listen to. 

Right now, I'm really hoping that the ABS is 'supposed' to make that terrible noise.. if not.. I'd actually hope it will lead to a recall.
Well, it snowed a few inches here in Denver last night.. SO, I got a better feeling for the ABS. It made a lot more sense to me this time. The "thump" and "grinding" that I heard as I tested it before (described above) was the ABS working with the high friction road. In the snow, however, the ABS was surprizingly smooth and engaged as soon as I put my foot on the brake -- very comfortable!

SO, I feel MUCH better about the tC's ABS now!

-K

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Good to see another "my tC is a lemon" case dismissed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Nov 1 2004, 08:08 AM
Good to see another "my tC is a lemon" case dismissed.
Hey now, I never said my tC is a lemon! I just had some paranoic concerns about the ABS smelling of citrus -- concerns that came after personally testing the system.

I'm just here updating my results and opinions since no one else seems willing enough to get involved and try it out and post what they think.. instead, everyone writes it off like all the "my stereo door doesn't work" complaints, providing wrote copy of the definition of an ABS system, and crap like I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

So, thanks for nothing.

-K

sorry, you caught me in a defensive mood.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I guess sounding positive did not work for me even this time. I really was happy that everything turned out ok.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by QuadinScionTC@Oct 2 2004, 09:47 PM
So Statisticly, we have 1.5 problems with our car before we drive it off the lot. Right....
Actually... statistcally, xA's and xB's have 1.5 problems before they drive it off the lot. We don't necessarily. Our cars are 2005.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts