Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since these things keep coming up, i thought i would do the hard work for those curious. this is about the turbonator. the fuel ionizers. the vapor injectors. all that crap. and, for those that dont want to read it, i will go on record and say this. your car already burns 99% of its fuel. so even if these worked, you would only see a 1% increase, not a 15 or 31 or whatever % they claim. so, follow the link, read the storys, and dont forget to look at the one about the engine fire.

Popular Mechanics says so.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Good Call.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I like how they ended the article. "Prediction: Within a few weeks after the appearance of this article, there will be gas-saving gadgets on the market that tout themselves as "Featured in Popular Mechanics." Someone will buy them. Probably not you."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Dec 13 2005, 05:09 PM
I like how they ended the article. "Prediction: Within a few weeks after the appearance of this article, there will be gas-saving gadgets on the market that tout themselves as "Featured in Popular Mechanics." Someone will buy them. Probably not you."
LOL, gotta love it

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received a Tornado as a gift and just for $hit$ and giggles used it for 3 months.

Gas mileage average for the 6 months prior to installation: 28.7 mpg
Average for the 3 months with the Tornado: 27.9 mpg

I threw out mileage number from road trips and the like, so this is just based on daily commutes and errands.

Edit: I'm one of those nerds that logs my mileage for every tank of gas.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
When they were talking about water injectors...

We ordered an AquaTune from a classified ad in the back pages of PM. "AquaTune is like no other water injection system in that it is, in actuality, a fuel cell hydrogen processor. It produces hydrogen-rich bubbles before being introduced into the engine draft." An "ultra-sonic barometric pressure chamber giving off ultra-sonic frequencies" apparently splits water molecules to create hydrogen bubbles. Anyone who can explain that, please call me--I'd like to make some hydrogen ultrasonically from water and solve the energy crisis while simultaneously eliminating global warming.[/b]

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
link repaired. the turbonator is once again a scam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't imagine that turbonator crap being any good. I mean, the manufacturers go through a lot to make sure there is a 'laminar' flow of air. The only place one might desire turbulence is in the combustion chamber. Swirl there can help burn more fuel. Like in GM's Vortex heads. They're designed to do that, allowing higher torque production. But the induction system should be smooth and free flowing. That article justifies my original thought about that device. It's worthless. Better to spend money on a good synthetic oil....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.