Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

i'm a gadget geek as opposed to a knowing everything about cars, i know quite a bit about certain gadgets, mostly the ones i'm interested in and in particular cell phones and computers electronics.

anyways.. i have a bluetooth enabled phone (SE K700i) and i would really love to have a bluetooth handsfree feature built into the tC. A lot of other newer cars have it built in (Acura TL, Toyota Prius) and if you don't know what it does then let me give a quick little info:

bluetooth is a shortrange wireless technology that covers a radius of about 32 feet. It is a true wireless where it does not have to have a straight signal to communicate like infrared. With cars, the ones that are built in have a little switch that will turn off the sound system with an incoming call and then route the call into the car's speakers giving a surround sound phone call
. you inturn speak into a mounted microphone usually mounted on the dash behind the steering wheel somewhere.

there are some bluetooth kits out there but they are external and are kinda obvious and, I believe, do not route the call into the car's speakers. I'm still trying to research more into that to see if they do or not but from what i have read, i think they have an individual speaker that is mounted on the dash.

i'm considering the new sony ericsson bluetooth car kit but it is external and not built it. i was wondering if anybody who knew about the inner workings of the stereo system would know of a way i would be able to hack the install and achieve the same functionality as the built in ones in the TL and the Prius.

if you need more info let me know. when i get home (still at work) i'll post the link to the sony ericsson bluetooth car kit. any help is appreciated !!!!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Making it fully automatic (as in call comes in, phone answers it, music turns off, the incoming call is on the car's speakers) will be a problem.

But making it a 1-2 button solution is very doable. Call comes in, phone auto-answers it, you manually press the AUX button and hear the person on the speakers.

Anything other than that might require way more thinking, or even an aftermarket HU...

·
Registered
85 Posts
My TV deck, the Alpine IVA-D300 has that built in. So if it is connected, when a call comes in, it mutes the sound and the phone call comes thru the speakers, if i am correct. i dont have that hooked up in mine, but it sounds cool! just FYI.

John

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i guess no one's interested in bluetooh car kits

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well as far as the bluetooth technology .. i can give you any info you want... i just curious if there's a way to directly install it into the tC. the unit that i linked does have the ability to turn off the stereo when there is an incoming call.. but i believe it routes the call into its own speaker rather than the car speakers... i need to research a bit more about it. getting it to route the call into the car's speakers is my main concern. It already turns of the stereo when there is an incoming call so thats something i can check off my list.

only thing i need to figure out or find out is:

how to install it so that it's powered by the car directly instead of by plugging into the lighter plug as i assume it does (note.. i'm still researching it)

and how to get it to route into the car's speakers.

otherwise the unit itself can sit on my dash somewhere, that's not an issue since it looks pretty slick
and its pretty tiny.

i'll update this thread as i come across more information for anybody who is curious. of course anybody who could help me figure this out definitely welcome to!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe .. i dont know anything about aftermarket aux headunits at all so that's something i have to look into i guess. one thing's for sure.. if i can figure it all out i'll write up alittle tutorial

i'll do some researching tonight inbetween cleaning my apartment.. *sigh*...this one thing i hate about moving into a new apartment....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It all depends how the kit turns off the HU - does it just cut the power? Basically install manual from the kit would help.

As for splicing the kit in the car's electric system - its' not a problem at all. Lots of places where you can tap into that get powered up when you turn the key.

And regarding routing the incoming call via car speakers - not sure it's such a great idea - having 6 speakers is cool for immersion in music, but might take away from clarity of phone-quality speech. You can just find a good place to hide the bluetooth unit's speaker, like in the headliner, or a-pillar.

Mirror install manual shows couple of good spots to splice in for power. I actually have a 12V outlet under the dash for my GPS/PDA combo - did not want to hardwire it because I take it out when I rent cars, but still I wanted to hide the wiring. Could be something to think about

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting... i'll see if i can hijack a install manual somewhere....

·
Registered
48 Posts
In a few weeks I will be installing a computer into my tC. The computer will have a bluetooth dongle connected to it via USB. Using custom software, it connects to my phone through the dongle. Then when a call comes in, it mutes the music that is playing at that time, then routes the call through the speakers, using a mic mounted where you said, tucked away near the steering wheel, I am able to have a hands free bluetooth car kit.

Also it will display who is calling on the LCD screen that will be mounted in place of the stock HU. I can also have it display their picture when they call if they are in the phone book.

Also I can reverse it and dial a call using the on screen keypad.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's cool... but im not looking for a full coputer set up
although it would be nice
as i am a computer geek. .. take some pics when u got it set up.. i'd love to see

·
Registered
409 Posts
man you guys are crazy, as for teh cell ofone stuff i tried using a cell fone and driving manual its a freaking pain =), i guess a bluetooth might help but i prefer to keep my eyes on the road =)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u can keep your eyes on the road with blutooth since everything is all voice command.. at least it is for my phone.. and with the kit it will answer for you if you set it up that way... and dialing..that's the only time u really need to look away.. but for me i have voice dialing built into my phone so i would dial that way... its really great if you have it set up... definitely better than a damn headset...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by HAWTsilverTC@Oct 25 2004, 03:40 PM
My TV deck, the Alpine IVA-D300 has that built in. So if it is connected, when a call comes in, it mutes the sound and the phone call comes thru the speakers, if i am correct. i dont have that hooked up in mine, but it sounds cool! just FYI.

John
You are correct. The IVA-D300 and ALL current Alpine Ai-Net decks have this capability with the addition of an adapter called a KCA-121B or a KCA-801B for those that have a changer installed.

As far as which BT kits will do this, I know the Motorola kit will. It has a radio interrupt output that will trigger the Alpine and turn on the Aux input. You will have to use an adjustable Hi-to-Low adapter to convert the HF speaker output for the Alpine. Just cut the HF speaker wire, connect it to BOTH channels of the Hi-to_Low and connect the RCA's to the Aux input adapter.

A plus for the Motorola kit is that everything is hidden except a very small and stylish controller. Pretty cool!! Learn more about it here:

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...237338&zipcode=

And learn more about Alpine products here:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i found a guy on a cell phone forum that has the SE BT car kit as i linked previously . he installed it and took a picture of the unit on his dash. it looks pretty slick and its so tiny!! i love the features... i've requested him to take pictures of his installation and to post the installation manual if possible.. we'll see where that goes.

all in all he said the quality is really clear for both parties even with windows rolled down.. and his mic is installed behind the review mirror ..(not sure exactly where). the link for the forum is here:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=53010

and officialy sony ericsson press release for the product is here:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?page=g..._1_110%26B%3Die

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's an update.. on that thread that i linked in my previous post, the guy posted his description of the included kit and the possible installation methods. he's not exactly a car wiring guru so his technical terms are .... how shall i say.. not very technical

anyways, the questions have been answered and all i gotta do now is to actually figure out how i want to do it. i think if i can find a good place to stick the included speaker i will give that a try , rather than investing in another unit to route the call to my speakers.

does anybody know if the stereo system in the tC enables muting through handsfree kits? and if the tC is at all prewired for bluetooth handsfree kits? (doubtful since its not even an option..)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if anybody is interested.. they have the HCB-300 kit on ebay for $127.99 BUT IT NOW... i would buy it if i had the money..
i need to get my hands on the installation manual....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts