Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my friend just totaled his TC by flipping it multiple times after losing control on a highway... hes being charged with reckless endangerment... we need to know if his car has a black box in it and what kind of data it records

thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Read the owners manuel it will tell you what the data recorder gets. If I remeber right it records the last 5 seconds of impact. But its hooked up to the airbags I believe. Tells how fast you were going, what gear you were in, if headlights and other stuff were in use and if seatbelt was being used.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the airbag module records several datastreams for several seconds before an impact. Im not sure if they are saved unless the airbags are deployed but it will likely have vehicle speed, seatbelt, yaw sensor (how sideways he was) sorry to tell u buzz but from what u have said...any black box is going to be proof AGAINST him not helping him

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
california is the only state that requires dealers to notify buyers of vehicles of any such monitoring devices, not saying that some wont still grant the convenience of telling their buyers. the highway patrol in your state are trained to assess accidents, and most likely could make a valid assumption without the black box. only thing you really could do, assuming the box records information, is to attempt to procure the box before any authorities or insurance company. he can keep it until "court ordered" to turn it over as evidence, but after that point he has no legal right to prevent it from being looked at.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In this case it is not they f*cking with anybody, it is his buddy did it to himself plain and simple. That kind of accident at that kind of speed it pure negligence and most likely by somebody with no clue as to how to properly drive a car, any car, at speed.

If it were in my power nobody would be allowed to drive unless they could pass a real high performance driving school.

As for the difference in speed it may show, I highly doubt it will make one bit of difference in the outcome, though I commend you for wanting to help your buddy, you are most likely wasting your time. You will probably be better off to just offer him a ride once in awhile and learn from his mistake as well as be dang glad he is not seriously injured or worse.

Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sorry to sound so harsh but the reality is what it is, things like this are why it becomes harder and harder to have cool import cars without constant harrassment by the legal biatches ruining far to much of this country.

I have been modding imports, started with 510 Datsuns of which I have owned 7 or 8, back in 1972 and I have witnessed the steady increase in fatalities and serious non injury accidents caused almost exclusively by young guns with to much testesterone and to little skill at the wheel.

Rick

·
Registered
242 Posts
you know in the owners manual it states the car dose have an in flight data recorder and it will begin recording data in an accident or "near accident" situation, so based of that youd think it would record wihtout the airbags going off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.