Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe its just cause I am 19 and practically retarded (as some people might say), but none the less, I want to get 19 inch wheels, with wider tires... I have read a couple things saying that it hurts performance, but in what way? Does it slow u down? The tC is just fine 0-60 for say, but I don't want my 0-60 slowed down, or any other accel. numbers, I just want a bigger wheel, with some wider tires... Actually I would like to put 235's or 245's on the stock wheel, but it doesn't sound like it can be done... Thanks in advance guys for the help with my stupidity...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Larger wheels are generally heavier, and the weight gain of the wheels is rarely offset by the weight loss of lower profile tires. 19" wheels would look odd (IMHO), and the ride would become quite harsh since the tires no longer have the compliancy that stock size do from higher profile.

My recommendation would be to go for something fairly light in 18x8.0 size with +48 or +45 offset. You'll be able to keep the weight increase at a minimum, while getting better looks compared to stock (best looks, to me, since I think 19s look ridiculous on this car) and spend less money all at once.

That's just my $0.02USD for ya'...

-Ed

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Also remember, as a wheel gets larger, the bulk of the wheel's weight gets farther from the center. This makes the wheel more difficult to spin initially (which hurts acceleration), and more difficult to stop (which hurts braking distances).

Even if a larger diameter wheel is extremely lightweight, it will still be outperformed by a similarly designed wheel of smaller diameter. In racing, engineers mount the smallest possible wheel that will fit over the braking system. Look how small the wheels are on an F1 car, arguably the most technically refined racing vehicles built:

Inboard mounted brakes help.

Of course, if you're going strictly for looks, buy whatever wheel pleases your eye the most. People do a lot of mods to cars that are contradictory to performance. So long as you go into your purchase accepting that fact, you'll be happy. The guys with 24" spinners on their SUVs don't care what effect the 100+ pound rims are having on their gas guzzlers-- the need for bling overwhelms the fact that they are making the worst worse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ok, the guy who posted the pics with the 19's; All of the above are awesome looking... I just technically want to fill a little more of that gap (I have the TRD Lowering Springs) but I dont want to do it with more sidewall of the tire... I am not too concerned about the ride, although I do want to keep the car to 100K+, or until it dies which is awhile for anything with Toyota in the lineup of manufacturing... Anyways, thanks a lot guys, and to the guy with the posted pics of the 19's, do u own any of those cars? If yes, or u know someone that does, do u know how it effected their cars, or your own? Thanks

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
my car is just like the SuperWhite. It has identical rims, except mine are not staggered. If i wasnt so lazy, i would go find a digital camera and get pictures, but thats probably not going to happen. Just invision the white being blue, and your set. I really dont accelerate my car to see if my 0-60 time has changed. I dont race my car, so i could care less. You do, however, feel a few more bumps, but thats expected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i think the other thing that hasent been assesed is that when you get a bigger and wider tire you have to worry about rubbing. if you want performance dont get a 19 inch wheel. just get a set of wider tires like 245's or something on the stock size tire or get a wider 17 inch.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
your 0-60 time should not decrease if you get 19 inch wheels as long as you shrink the profile of the tire accordingly

say you have 17 inch wheels and a 3 inch profile tire, together that is 20 inches

now if you get 19 inch wheels you would hav to shrink the tire profile down to 1 inch so the sum still equals 20 inches

that saves you from having a slower 0-60 time and it also saves you from having to re-calibrate your speedometer and odometer

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You're missing the point. 19's are inherently heavier than most 17's and they have their weight farther from the center of the wheel. They will not accelerate as quickly as a smaller diameter wheel even when the wheel and tire are exactly the same diameter. This is one thing a Dynojet dyno does show pretty well.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
That's what you think.... but no..

Try reading what Dr. Isotope said.
It's a heavier rim... Rubber is lighter than steel

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Anyways, let me get this straight... The only thing that is going to slow me down is the extra weight, and if the tire and the wheel are not the same size together when you measure their total height? Also, does anyone know, if I want to put like a 235 or 245 on my stock wheels, is that even possible? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by jickybob@Nov 8 2005, 05:46 PM
Also, does anyone know, if I want to put like a 235 or 245 on my stock wheels, is that even possible? Thanks!
Not even remotely.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by jickybob@Nov 8 2005, 02:46 PM
So Anyways, let me get this straight...  The only thing that is going to slow me down is the extra weight, and if the tire and the wheel are not the same size together when you measure their total height?  Also, does anyone know, if I want to put like a 235 or 245 on my stock wheels, is that even possible?  Thanks!
Not entirely correct. In addition to the additional weight of a larger wheel slowing down acceleration, there is also the increased moment of inertia because of the larger diameter of the wheel. Larger moment = harder to start turning = slower acceleration.

There's also the consideration of the effect on your suspension setup. If indeed the larger wheels you get are heavier than the stock 17" wheels...you're going to be putting more stress upon your suspension systems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well let me ask u guys this... Some tires will say: Fits wheels 7-8.5 " or something, doesnt that mean width? I mean I know it says wheel width or something like that, to make me think that, but in that case I could put a 235 or 245 cause arnt the tC's stock wheels 7.5's or 7's? Thanks for all the posts guys, I really appreciate it, and thanks for not playing me off as the complete retard that I am about the mechanical aspect of cars...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by jickybob@Nov 12 2005, 06:55 PM
Well let me ask u guys this... Some tires will say: Fits wheels 7-8.5 " or something, doesnt that mean width? I mean I know it says wheel width or something like that, to make me think that, but in that case I could put a 235 or 245 cause arnt the tC's stock wheels 7.5's or 7's? Thanks for all the posts guys, I really appreciate it, and thanks for not playing me off as the complete retard that I am about the mechanical aspect of cars...
What 245 tire lists compatibility with 7.0" width rims?

-Ed

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Stock wheels are 215/17x7's so, 7's

Edit.. whoops 215...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.