Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to take out the factory stereo and replace it with a 6.5 inch touch screen and a custom built (aka by me) car computer. The touch screen should fit fine (as it's built to take up the standard space of a stereo), but how much usable space is there from the face of the stereo to whatever is behind it? Does anybody have a picture of their tC sans stereo? The more room I have to work with, the more functionality I can add to my computer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your idea is exactly what I want to do, but with a Mac mini (and I'll write my software for it). I would really like to know what screen you're looking at. I havent been able to find any that are made to slide right into a 2-din opening. I'm assuming you would need to fabricate some sort of bracket. I would love to hear your ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by alanthing@Aug 11 2005, 03:53 PM
Your idea is exactly what I want to do, but with a Mac mini (and I'll write my software for it). I would really like to know what screen you're looking at. I havent been able to find any that are made to slide right into a 2-din opening. I'm assuming you would need to fabricate some sort of bracket. I would love to hear your ideas.
Do a search on froogle for Dash "Touch Screen". That's where I found my stuff. They sell 6.5 and 7 inch models. The one problem I see is that the flip down door might get in the way. Are there any replacements for this that won't stick out so far?

I'm going to build a custom computer using a Mini-itx or Nano-itx motherboard. It will run Windows XP, use SATA laptop hard drives, a slim DVD drive, and have wireless networking ability. I'll probably get the $99 streets and trips GPS package and only plug in the antenna when I need it. I'll end up building a custom case/bracked for the computer. I don't know what I'm going to do about aplifying the sound coming out of the computer, but worst case the amplifier can be in the back or under a seat. These are my plans so far; I'm going to try to plan everything out in more detail before purchasing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I decided to switch to a carputer I thought about doing one of two things. Installing a PCI or PCMCIA card with an optical or SPDIF out or get a USB sound device with optical or SPDIF out and run it to something like the Alpine PXA-H701 then run that to an amp or an amplifier that can take a digital input. (I think alpine has a V12 amp that will take a digital input.) This way I wouldn't have to deal with any added system noise from the PC.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think i remember reading something on cnet about a guy who did something like this in his car. If I was going to do something like this, i would do it simpler, i would put a small form factor pc in the back and wire it to a moniter up front. That way, i could take it out and use it indoors also.

If not that, i would set a small laptop in the glove compartment, and wire it to a moniter integrated in the dash. If you use a blue tooth keyboard and mouse, it would work well. Hmm i might do that with my next computer. (I just built an uber-pc so i dont have the cash to do it now, but with 60 fps smooth in HL2, i don't care lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.