Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After listening to various types of music in my tC, I've determined that the weak link seems to be the rear speakers. So, I'd like to replace them with aftermarket speakers.

My preferences:
I listen to a lot of jazz, so I'd like speakers that sound "accurate".
I listen at MUCH lower volumes when other people are in the car, and the current speakers definitely don't sound too good at reduced volumes.

So, what speakers would best fit my needs? Do I need to put in a separate amp to power the rears, or can I avoid that?

If this doesn't work, then my diagnosis was wrong and I may have to replace the fronts as well. But, I'd like to try replacing only the rears first.

-Steven-

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you haven't done so, visit this page: Howto on Scion Stereo Settings. This will allow some adjustment of the stock stereo settings.

Sound and speaker selection are very subjective. Nobody can tell you what the best speaker for you is. There are too many variables, including the most dynamic variable, you. You might get lucky listening to various speakers in a stereo shop. However, when the speakers are installed in your car it may sound awful. Mostly because the sound stage has changed from a soundproof room to a rolling box with an audible engine. The accoustics are going to change.

My suggestion is to find something you like and try to reproduce it. If you like the way a particular brand of speaker sounds try other speakers within that series. You might ask an installer to listen to your stereo and tell him what you don't like about it. He may be able to suggest speakers that have a sound more like that which you are looking for.

Personally, I find that the stock speakers in my tC are more than adequate for the type of listening that I do; but I mostly listen to talk radio.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by Wolo@Dec 10 2004, 03:13 PM
(Waits for Alpman to jump in)
I know, sorry for making you wait. But I'm in on vacation in beautiful Hawaii and haven't had much time to chime in. It's been 85 and sunny every day!! Missed all the rain in SacTown last week, too...extra bonus!!!

Swale had some very good advice on this topic. Here's mine:

The problem w/ the tC and the rear speakers is that they are not sealed very well and the rear panel doesn't make a very good baffle. It leaks and rattles at high volume. Not much you can do short of building an enclosure around the rear speakers w/ fiberglass to seal them up (like I did). Then and only then will you have adequate back-pressure on the speaker to make it really come alive.

If your looking for my suggestion on which model, do the above enclosure mod with a pair of Alpine (...of course, what, did you think I would actually suggest another brand???) SPR-174A Type-R coax's (may be hard to find due to limited availability...new models coming in Mar) and run a decent 4-channel amp to all four speakers such as the MRV-F340. This should be plenty of power for most people. And the SPR's need an amp to run them sufficiently...deck power just won't due for these babies!!!

There, Wolo, you happy?!?! JK

So, anyway, I'll be home on Wed (damn, wish I could stay forever). I'll catch up then!!! Back to the MaiTai's for now!!!

L8

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman+Dec 14 2004, 04:08 AM-->QUOTE (Alpman @ Dec 14 2004, 04:08 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Wolo
@Dec 10 2004, 03:13 PM
(Waits for Alpman to jump in)
I know, sorry for making you wait. But I'm in on vacation in beautiful Hawaii and haven't had much time to chime in. It's been 85 and sunny every day!! Missed all the rain in SacTown last week, too...extra bonus!!!
[/b]
Tonight it's supposed to get down to 18 degrees here....

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I ordered a pair of Boston Acoustics NX67 6 1/2" speakers yesterday...not sure yet whether I'm going to replace the front or rear with those, though. I might just take the fronts and move them to the back and put the BAs in the front where I'll hear them the most...

·
Registered
426 Posts
for the best quality id go with MB Quarts..a little pricey but the sound quality is undisputed..for something a lil cheaper with good quality as well i recommend 3 way Infinity References all around..sound very crisp even at low volumes..not to expensive either..about $100 a pair..match that up with some aftermarket tweeters from Infinity as well..youll be set..

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I had some Infinity Reference series in another car a couple years back, and they were thoroughly unimpressive...

·
Registered
426 Posts
not to be rude..but the models have been updated..they now have 3 way directional speaker components..it seems as if you bought the cheaper pair, these ones have titanium diaphragms..sorry about your experience

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Nothing at all rude about your response...if my experience isn't indicative of what a person purchasing speakers now could expect, then it's best to let people know..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
acuracy=high ohmage. run your speakers at 8 ohms and your amp will have a much better chance of reproducing sound with out distortion. It wont be as loud, but who needs that?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
^^^ also get a speaker with a very light cone. Alpine is a good brand to go with.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
^^^ also get a speaker with a very light cone. Alpine is a good brand to go with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I started this thread, I thought I'd let people know that I've ordered CDT speakers, both front and back, EF 61CF's for the front, and CL-5X for the rear. When they arrive, I'll pair the fronts up with an amp, probably an Alpine, and run the rears off the head unit.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

-Steve-

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've noticed that the rear speakers sound really terrible in comparison with the fronts. Thanks Alpman for the heads up about them not being sealed well. I'll have to pull it apart and see about making some enclosures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.