Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob style being pay someone else to do it.

Is this even a feasible idea? Most people build their engines up to handle ridiculous boost, but I'm just gonna put the TRD supercharger on it and call it a day. Would dropping 5k on building my engine make me not miss my 5k dollars?

Part of me thinks that it's not really a good idea cuz I wouldn't be able to maintain an engine like that. Everytime something goes wrong i'd have to take it to a performance shop, which tend to run higher labor than ur typical repair shop. Parts would be more expensive to replace, and my initial feel is that it'd be too complicated a setup to be practical.

The rest of me wants to go faster.

Therefore the question.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
What's your HP goal? That really determines a lot. The other is your on-going budget for maintenance and fuel. Don't forget, horsepower comes from your gas tank. You are right about aftermarket potentially making it difficult and expensive to find someone qualified to work on your car.

Putting on the TRD Supercharger isn't exactly building your engine, and it's going to be fully warranted by Toyco. It is the safest bet for more power with minimum grief.

Usually when you say building your engine, it means blueprinting (putting all the factory tolerances closer to design spec) and possibly adding some more robust parts (although Toyco does a superb job of building very strong engines, most aftermarket parts aren't necessary until you've at least doubled factory rating).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's say that I upgrade all the key internal parts, pistons, rods, crankshafts, cams, etc. Then I'd probably want to upgrade the intake and fuel delivery system. This would also require an aftermarket ecu if i were to do that right?

So what would be the estimated gains of such upgrades? Supposedly this SC will give us 200whp when it comes out, and that's on stock internals. Is it reasonable to think I could get +50whp out of those upgrades with the SC on?

I mean I could go out and drop 2k on exhaust and headers and CAI and all that,...but from what I've read from people that know what they're talkin about, these don't really do much considering the money spent. Maybe with everything you get about +20 hp. MAYBE.

My goal is to do modifications that would be beneficial on an NA setup, but enhanced even more so by the addition of the supercharger.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You'd be wasting your money on all the internal stuff. Toyco builds very strong engines, it's unlikely you'd need to upgrade internals until you are well past twice the rated power. I completely agree with jms001 about the strength of the Toyota parts, the only less than stellar engine I've heard of is the IS300's 2JZ, for some reason they decided to use a less robust rod in the IS than they did for the 2JZ in the NA and turbo Supras, but they still will take a LOT more than stock power before they become the weak link.

You can build a VERY impressive engine with stock parts if you know what you are doing, but 2.4 liters of NA engine isn't going to get you a lot power in a street application without forced induction of some kind.

The key things to get right on any engine are deck height, combustion chamber shape and volume, port work, valve work, base cam timing, bearing and piston fit, and ensuring the oiling system is unimpeded by casting flash or other factory irregularities. The problem with doing these things is they all require a combination of machine work and a highly skilled technician.

It is a slow and painstaking process, depending on just how precise you want to be. I've taken as much as 8 hours just fitting rod and crank bearings because I don't like to see more than 0.0002" of variance from front to back on a crank. That's quite a bit of money, and truthfully, the bang for the buck just doesn't compare to a wet shot of nitrous or forced induction.

In the end, it's your money, but you need to really decide how important it is to go fast and pony up the dollars to make it happen. I just wouldn't do the blueprint work first unless I was in some kind of highly competitive racing series where I could get someone else (a sponsor) to foot the bill.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Really, if you want cheap power, a two stage wet nitrous kit will do it. Of course there's no guarantee the Check Engine Light won't come on, but nitrous is a pretty cost effective power adder. The downside is when the nitrous runs out, there's no choice but to get more. I think something like a 45/90 shot would be pretty fun in a tC.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Depends on how big your bottle is, and how big your shot is. It's highly addictive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.