Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the holiday season around the corner and my stock '06 BSP TC (manual) sitting in my driveway with not a one modification save floormats I can't help but wonder what is the best mod for my money?

Now, I know I know... Search the forums. We'll, I've read lots, infact I've read so much that I can't decide what would be the best upgrade for my situation. I'd appreciate some input from the TC masses on this one..

First things First.

The Budget: $50 Gift Card + $400 G/F Christmas Cash + $1000 money I should have probably saved. That leaves me with $1450 to work with.

The Want: Speed or Handling

The Constraints: I will probably need to have it installed by someone else.. I write code for a living

So, whats the best bang for my buck given this situation? My guess would be suspension but I seem to recall lobux mentioning something about how a set of new wheels totally changes this car. I've come to the conclusion that exhaust and intake are sound mods, but let me know if you disagree. So, any ideas guys, or should I just squirrel my cash away in Chinese index funds until I can afford a SC?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
tC's stock handleing is not bad IMHO. I'd say either save for the supa Charga; or buy a short shifter, and some new tires. Also lobux idea of a sports flywheel or whatever. Look that one up I dont remember what he said. are you in california? If not, headers maybe?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
With that much to spend? I'd go w/ 17"x8.5" wheels, BFGoodrich gForce KDW's (245/40/17), and a Fidanza Flywheel. Best bang for the buck right there. Wheels and tires will completely transform the handling, flywheel provides quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Nov 7 2005, 10:16 PM
With that much to spend? I'd go w/ 17"x8.5" wheels, BFGoodrich gForce KDW's (245/40/17), and a Fidanza Flywheel. Best bang for the buck right there. Wheels and tires will completely transform the handling, flywheel provides quicker acceleration.
i agree, depends on what type of driving you're searching for

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i second that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With that much to spend? I'd go w/ 17"x8.5" wheels, BFGoodrich gForce KDW's (245/40/17), and a Fidanza Flywheel. Best bang for the buck right there. Wheels and tires will completely transform the handling, flywheel provides quicker acceleration.[/b]
Sounds good and thanks for the quick replys.... Any recomendation on wheels specifically? I couldn't find any 17" x8.5" wheels at Sparks site and I wouldn't really know any solid brands to look for.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
5zigen Pro Racer GN+ seems to be popular
17x8.5" 5-100 and I believe... a 43mm offset?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I third that i have the kdw's in a 245/35/18 and they can't be beat. No matter if i am driving in the rain or sun they don't slip. I only slide when I want to and even then these tires have a amazing way of allowing you to point the car even in a slide.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Handling's not bad, stock, but throw in the DC Sports or Hotchkis Strut Bar and it'll improve greatly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well saving for the S/C isn't a bad idea IMO. But if thats seems too far away for you $1400+ isn't a bad starting point for other mods. Here's a list of a few thing you could go with if you want. If you're interested in any of these or anything on the site let me know.

Josh

Injen C.A.I.
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...=2&parts_id=688

Injen Exhaust
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...=2&parts_id=688

Hotchkis Lowering Springs
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...11&parts_id=642

TRD Rear Sway Bar
http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...11&parts_id=326

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drove Josh's tC and the first things that caught my attention were the sloppy shifter so a good short throw is in order. Also the ass end of the car seemed a bit disconnected and lagged behind so some suspension bits would be next on my list (strut, sway, coil combos, etc). Other then that I would focus on getting the car boosted if you're serious about modding the car. I was quite surprised with how much N/A grunt that lil' Camry motor has got so I, personally, would make the car more fun to drive then worry about blasting down ¼ mile tracks....IMHO of course.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Fidanza Flywheel: how much should i expect to pay for that? i know i know..im seraching after i post this.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Thought it was $300 shipped or something? Can't recall.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
titan lists the fidanza at 369 i believe. the smokin deal we got on it before is gone. install is a bitch if you arent mechanically knowledgeable. a shop would charge about 6 hours labor for it, and depending on their hourly rate... it should run about as much as a clutch job.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
1. Wheels and Tires. Nothing else gives you as much for the money spent. I would suggest following the Dr. Isotope and zoltiz path, inexpensive lightweight 17 x 8 rims with decent tires (either Falken or Toyo, Falken is cheaper, Toyo I guarantee works very well and lasts exceptionally well for a sport oriented tire - I project about 40k miles from mine).

2. Suspension - pick A & B or C & D:

a: rear sway minimum

b. springs

c. Tein or other full on replacements

d. Hotchkis sways front and rear.

3. TRD or other short shifter

4. Fidanza or other lightweight flywheel.

5. Strut tower brace

from here it just gets ridiculously expensive...

Your observation about intakes and exhausts is correct, not only are they pretty much sound only mods, but if you do actually make some power from them it is because you are removing elements of the smog control system and violating Federal law and possibly state law depending on where you live.

If you want legal power, continue to save for the supercharger, but don't be an idiot and put the supercharger on a car with OEM tires. Despite Marty's defense of the OEM rubber, they are the second worst rated tires in the online survey at the Tire Rack. There is a reason for this. I would never attempt to brake hard in the rain with the OEM tires, and I know you can't corner at even 50% of their dry speed in the wet.

Anyway, that's how I would do it. PM zoltiz or Dr. Isotope about tires and wheels, I think they have the most cost effective/best performing solution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.