Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, with all of my vehicles.......I have used synthetic oils. Recently I have been thinking about the pros/cons of synthetic. Obviously you get a little better protection against viscosity breakdown but does that really justify the extra cost?

Normal oil is roughly $1.10 for a good brand, compared to $5+ for synthetic per quart. If the normal oil is changed every 3k miles, does the synthetic really offer that much of an advantage over the lifespan of the car considering the MONUMENTAL cost?

4 oil changes per year x $10.00 for normal oil/filter = $40.00

4 oil changes per year x $30.00 for synth oil and Mobil 1 Filter = 120.00

Now, what advantages can you guys think of with synth oil that justify $80.00 more per year? I have my opinions already, this post is to foster knowledagble discussion, please post your opinions and ZERO flaming will be tolerated
- t

·
Registered
999 Posts
Why buy Cheetos brand when you can buy a knock off.
Why go for a brand name than an unknown?

Personal preferences; It's your choice. Some people "have" to go with the better stuff, despite the added costs.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Synthetic oil doesn't need to be changed as often as regular oil. What I have been doing for a couple years is buying semi-synthetic oil, which ends up being almost the same price as regular since you don't get the oil changed as often...

·
Registered
187 Posts
AMSOIL AMSOIL AMSOIL.

You seem to forget that you can change your oil half as often with a good synthetic.

Synthetics are where its at. Especially if you plan on driving your car for a long time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm ok, good good good points so far. So, what filter has double the capacity and double the filter element life to match the double'd oil viscosity life?........which one are you guys using? - T

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been down the amsoil road before.....my family uses it. Im not a fan of their product, but thats just me and i know im in the minority on that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, what problems will non-synthetic oil cause......and would saving the money that you saved by buying regular oil......cover the cost of the repairs that you would have to make to the "damages" caused by this regular oil????

Does synthetic lead to less damage?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mobile 1 all the way. a friend of mine was telling me about a guy he knows that has a 1st gen crx with over 300k miles on it. Has only used Mobile 1 and never had any issue. He finally decided to rebuild the motor and when he broke it open he said that there was virtually no wear on the internals. Now for me it will be all the factory recomended and at the 5k interval because i get it for free for the next 75k miles. But once i start paying for it, Mobile 1.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 18 2004, 07:16 PM
So, what problems will non-synthetic oil cause......and would saving the money that you saved by buying regular oil......cover the cost of the repairs that you would have to make to the "damages" caused by this regular oil????

I wouldnt say non-synthetics CAUSE any problems.

Rather,

I would say that synthetics will help prevent problems.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Aug 18 2004, 07:17 PM
Mobile 1 all the way. a friend of mine was telling me about a guy he knows that has a 1st gen crx with over 300k miles on it. Has only used Mobile 1 and never had any issue. He finally decided to rebuild the motor and when he broke it open he said that there was virtually no wear on the internals. Now for me it will be all the factory recomended and at the 5k interval because i get it for free for the next 75k miles. But once i start paying for it, Mobile 1.
interesting.......

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Are you guys aware that the 3,000-mile interval is a myth perpetrated by the companies that market and sell oil and oil change services? Check the owner's manual. I believe the interval on our tCs is 5,500.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ufgatorfan+Aug 18 2004, 07:18 PM-->QUOTE (ufgatorfan @ Aug 18 2004, 07:18 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Aug 18 2004, 07:16 PM

I wouldnt say non-synthetics CAUSE any problems.

Rather,

I would say that synthetics will help prevent problems.
[/b]
great point.......maybe due to less friction?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Oops, TCrazy just said that, sorry

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yea do a little research on Mobile 1 -T. There is a story somehwere of a BMW with 1million miles, yes 1 million miles and it only ran Mobile 1.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Aug 18 2004, 07:21 PM
Yea do a little research on Mobile 1 -T. There is a story somehwere of a BMW with 1million miles, yes 1 million miles and it only ran Mobile 1.
you and I have identical future plans for our tC's.......im a Mobil One user, but for the sake of this post...............if dyno oil has been used for SO long, and its SO bad.....why is it still sold?!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Here's one thing I do know about synthetic oil -- it doesn't break down nearly as quickly as organic oil, but once synthetic does start to break down, it goes quickly -- i.e., traditional (organic) oil is much more of a gradual process. That's why I used semi-synthetic. Just my two cents' worth.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
interesting, I wonder how harsh our 4cyl's are on oil....I know my mustang used to beat the snot out of a good 7 quarts of mobile 1 in between changes!!!! - T

·
Registered
619 Posts
i doubt there is anything wrong with convetional motor oil. For everyday driving and what normal people put thier cars through its perfect. But i do think if you are going to be putting the engine over factory recomended stress you have to do better than the factory recomended maintenance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts