Scion tC Forums banner

Bass

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  demon2091tb 
IMHO you can't beat Adire for the money....I love my Tempest and it wangs...and the SQ is phenominal, i'd look for some used ones and they will run you ~$100 or less, and you will be really happy, port it and be proud. Doesn't sport the XBL^2 motor like there newer subs but still has the underhung design, and its an awesome sub for the money, check them out at www.adireaudio.com.

If you can fit a 15" that is, if not drop down to the Shiva line, same design less cone area, 12" that is.

The sub is really effecient too, ~ 400-500rms @ 4ohms and you'll be golden, and it'll sound awesome.

They used to retail for ~$150

They have a new design in progress right now, not sure how it'll fair compaired to the older designs.

I can't suggest any better for the money really. I've heard lots of good things about the new peerless lines, XXLS. IDMAX's are also nice.

As far as your actual price point i'm not sure, but for <200 i'd say tempest or shiva, over 200, i'd say Tulmult, Brahma, and something along the lines of a IDMAX or IDQ, or even a OZ Matrix Elite and ARC subs also. There's tons out there that arn't really mainstream that are so much better than the mainstream crap floating around. Research and listen and choose, not based on mainstream or who knows what company...but by the sound and price.

Originally posted by EPSILON7617@Oct 18 2005, 04:03 PM
the elemental sub has a little baby magnet lol...
i say go jl audio...
i have a 12 w7 ... it weighs almost 150 with the box...
magnet is seriously massive...
big magnet = big bass
Are you serious? Where did you learn that?

MAgnet size means nothing, i'd take a nice little Neo magnet over a huge ol ceramic magnet.......Sure as it looks a larger magnet might look stronger but it all comes down to the material, and motor force in the VC gap (Bl), and Le, and All of the other T/S specs that make a sub better than another one.

Neodium Magnet = Stronger than ceramic.

Don't judge a sub by the size or weight of its magnet.....but by the material and the sum of the parts.

DD is good but look who you put in the same sentence with them.....Jl isint all that good, there W6v2's were SQ subs, and there W7's are decently nice, but give me a break about Sony and crossfire. Also powerhandling has nothing to do with how a speaker could sound. Alot has to do with Le or inductance, as well as sensativity, cone area, distortion measurements and bla bla bla you get the picture.

One or 2 params don't make a sub.....

DD subs take lots of power, they can get loud, but i wouldn't be talking about DD subs unless you were going for SPL, as i heard the SQ is decent at most, but if you going for anything that sounds good, then theres better out there for the money.

I'd look into

Adire
Ed
ID
Arc
Oz
JL (upper lines) Not w7, too expensive for what you get.
RE
~and theres a few more out there thta would be very good bets for the money.

Stay away from Sony and some of the other mainstream companies.....less bang for the buck.

BTW they reccomend a 40hz ported box, well 40-45hz for most of there boxes....thats tuned awefully high, SPL oriented boxes as it seems.

Exactly, thats the whole game, what sounds good to you, but can you blame getting something that sounds just as good, if not better, for 1/2 the price, or well not half, but less than the cost of another thing?

Thats why i suggest Adire, Sure its in my opinion, but for the money you cannot beat them. I have yet to try some of there XBL^2 motor topology, but if its anything like the underhung tempest or shiva, its bound to be impressive, just as the people who use them suggest. I would really like to eventually upgrade to possibly a brahma or a tulmut 15" granted they can run fairly well off 500rms or so, as i'm not trying to be a powerhouse or bass head, i'm a SQ guy, so thats where a majority of my opinion comes from.

I too like to bump, thast one reason i'm porting my 15" Tempest here soon to 25hz, so it will keep its level of SQ, flaten out the response around 50/60hz and dive deep with authority.

I have a problem with shops as well, which is one reason i tend not to do work with them, I like to do it all myself. From step one, to the final. You pay nothing with labor, you know how everything works, and if done correctly, minor trouble-shooting. Not to mention the outrageous prices with minor warranties they give you, where if you purchase from a internet based company with a dealer network, everything is almost identical, except price under msrp, where majority of shops sell at for their own cutt to keep runing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.