Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, hopefully this will be my last post. i need to know what is the BEST subwoofer within the price range that people have actually heard about, and that produces the most bass. again, i want a sub company that people have heard about. please state why also. it also has to be a sub that is no more than two hundred dollars(give or take)

·
Registered
445 Posts
alpine type-r

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Oct 14 2005, 02:12 PM
Elemental Designs Ov.2

Outstanding SQ as well as output. Minimal space requirements, even for ported apps. Right in your price range for an 11 or a 13. Only downside is they're all on backorder.
how come they dont show spl

·
Registered
542 Posts
alpine type r. my 12" type r is just as loud as my cousin's 2 12" memphis subs. (almost the same magnet size and power handling, but i've got one and hes got 2 subs)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Kicker CompVR DVC 12"....I have one. It has an aluminum cone and very well built and designed...I stand behind kickers round subwoofer design but NOT the solo baric design....their round subwoofers are awesome accurate and provide enough bass for just one subwoofer...

I have a KX450.2 bridged going into it and it makes my headlights dim it draws so much power..it has bass control and keeps on pumping the notes no matter how hot or long you have been running it.

I would recommend kicker round subwoofers to anyone...they are inexpensive and well worth the money ~ $120 retail

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Oct 14 2005, 02:12 PM
Elemental Designs Ov.2

Outstanding SQ as well as output. Minimal space requirements, even for ported apps. Right in your price range for an 11 or a 13. Only downside is they're all on backorder.
I might have to try these sometimes..they got good reviews and not just on their website

·
Registered
136 Posts
IMHO you can't beat Adire for the money....I love my Tempest and it wangs...and the SQ is phenominal, i'd look for some used ones and they will run you ~$100 or less, and you will be really happy, port it and be proud. Doesn't sport the XBL^2 motor like there newer subs but still has the underhung design, and its an awesome sub for the money, check them out at www.adireaudio.com.

If you can fit a 15" that is, if not drop down to the Shiva line, same design less cone area, 12" that is.

The sub is really effecient too, ~ 400-500rms @ 4ohms and you'll be golden, and it'll sound awesome.

They used to retail for ~$150

They have a new design in progress right now, not sure how it'll fair compaired to the older designs.

I can't suggest any better for the money really. I've heard lots of good things about the new peerless lines, XXLS. IDMAX's are also nice.

As far as your actual price point i'm not sure, but for <200 i'd say tempest or shiva, over 200, i'd say Tulmult, Brahma, and something along the lines of a IDMAX or IDQ, or even a OZ Matrix Elite and ARC subs also. There's tons out there that arn't really mainstream that are so much better than the mainstream crap floating around. Research and listen and choose, not based on mainstream or who knows what company...but by the sound and price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the elemental sub has a little baby magnet lol...
i say go jl audio...
i have a 12 w7 ... it weighs almost 150 with the box...
magnet is seriously massive...
big magnet = big bass

·
Registered
126 Posts
i just realized he was in a price range... i say ebay a 12 w3 or something like that by jl audio

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by EPSILON7617@Oct 18 2005, 04:03 PM
the elemental sub has a little baby magnet lol...
i say go jl audio...
i have a 12 w7 ... it weighs almost 150 with the box...
magnet is seriously massive...
big magnet = big bass
Are you serious? Where did you learn that?

MAgnet size means nothing, i'd take a nice little Neo magnet over a huge ol ceramic magnet.......Sure as it looks a larger magnet might look stronger but it all comes down to the material, and motor force in the VC gap (Bl), and Le, and All of the other T/S specs that make a sub better than another one.

Neodium Magnet = Stronger than ceramic.

Don't judge a sub by the size or weight of its magnet.....but by the material and the sum of the parts.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
^^^He is dead on, there are a lot of variances that make a subwoofer good...JL has a very good sound though, but it isn't because of magnet size, well not completely. Im just going to repeat myself from before though, JL, Alpine, Eclipse are all very good mainstream brands.....JBL and infinity are a little harder to find but are very clean and crisp sounding woofers. Stay away from sony, pioneer, rockford and the like...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Digital Designs DD2512 Dual Voice Coil (DVC) 12" Sub. $209.00. Why?

1. American Made
2. Power Handling Peak 2000 watts
3. What others are saying...

I have owned 3 of their sub's ranging from their entry level 10" to the 3500 series 15". This sub is by far the best SQ and SPL for the $$$. I have owned JL Audio, Crossfire, and Sony subs and they can't touch DD. DD subs have been used in several World Record setting SPL competitions.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I do like digital designs....needless to say before we go around and around again find a local dealer you like....find what brands they have and bring your options to us, we will surely help you narrow down.

·
Registered
136 Posts
DD is good but look who you put in the same sentence with them.....Jl isint all that good, there W6v2's were SQ subs, and there W7's are decently nice, but give me a break about Sony and crossfire. Also powerhandling has nothing to do with how a speaker could sound. Alot has to do with Le or inductance, as well as sensativity, cone area, distortion measurements and bla bla bla you get the picture.

One or 2 params don't make a sub.....

DD subs take lots of power, they can get loud, but i wouldn't be talking about DD subs unless you were going for SPL, as i heard the SQ is decent at most, but if you going for anything that sounds good, then theres better out there for the money.

I'd look into

Adire
Ed
ID
Arc
Oz
JL (upper lines) Not w7, too expensive for what you get.
RE
~and theres a few more out there thta would be very good bets for the money.

Stay away from Sony and some of the other mainstream companies.....less bang for the buck.

BTW they reccomend a 40hz ported box, well 40-45hz for most of there boxes....thats tuned awefully high, SPL oriented boxes as it seems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Only mainstream brand I like is Kicker. The solobaric series is where its at. Only one I would suggest gessting are the L7's or the Solo X's (a little too pricey)

But regarding to your post for the non name brands I would also reccomend Adire Audio. They have a good line of products and they offer a pretty good warranty.

ANother one you should look into is Treo, It's worth every single dollar. This is a sub that will deliver a bang for your buck.

Third and foremost go ahead and check out some lighning audio. Yes it is the brand they sell at Wal-Mart but dont buy from there. THose ar ethe low end audio equipment. I would check out their site because they have some pretty good stuff for cheap. Oh and yes they are owned by fosgate now.

My 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.