Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched over and over and it seems like lots of people are still having problems with their synchros ( some seem to have concluded that it is "normal" ) and mine keeps making a slight "grind" when I go from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't matter how fast I shift, and Redline MT-90 didn't cure it. It is the at its worst when the car is cold and it still sometimes does it when its warm. This transmission is basically from a Camry so I thought that it would be reliable. Are my synchros going bad? I only have 2500 miles on the car with about 80% of them being highway. I've never really done a serious grind to it where it is audible within the cabin ( I've just felt the slight grind through the shifter ). Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have 5500 on my car and it does this consistently in the cold. Once it is warmed up, it still is a problem about a fourth of the time. I'm going to take it to the dealer sometime soon but I don't know when yet. But I do know exactly what you are talking about.

I also switched to MT-90 which helped a little.

-Eric

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I'm past 27,000 miles on my car, it is the car I learned stick on, I drive daily in and out of NYC, bumper to bumper on the West Side and I rarely have the 1-2 grind (maybe once a month). I'd say the synchros on my car are doing pretty damn well given what it has been through.

But what do I know, I just revmatch as accurately as possible between shifts, anyway, so maybe that's why I'm not grinding. On the other hand, I see no reason why anyone would not try to revmatch as accurately as possible between shifts, up or down, anyway.

Perhaps I'm just trying too hard to be a halfway decent stick driver.

-Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think our synchros are absolute crap if we have to rev-match on the way up. There would be no point in having synchros. Toyota says that our 1st and 2nd gear synchros are triple-cone so they should shift quickly and smoothly. Is it due to the horrid gear ratios? 1st and 2nd seem really far apart, then 3rd is alright, 3rd to 4th is kinda far, and 4th and 5th feel like that they are almost the same ratios. I don't think that it is normal to get a grind when shifting.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Regardless, the only time I grind, no matter how well or poorly I revmatch, is if I do not engage the clutch sufficiently, which rarely occurs for me nowadays.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is not a full out grind like what happens when you do not push the clutch in. This is like a semi-grind like the synchros are not doing their job completely. When it is very cold, it sometimes even kicks the shifter back into neutral before I can even get it into gear (this is very rare but it has happened) and I know my foot is firmly planted on the clutch. If you lived closer I would let you drive my car so you know what it feels like. I can only describe it as a crunchy feeling that is very unpleasant.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
20k miles. Never had it happen, in any gear, not even once. Any grinds I've had are due to the driver's lazy hand and/or feet. But my shifter and bushings are better than yours (ask Ed) so that may have something to do with it. In stock format, the gear changing is absolutely mushy. I think this goes into the category along with the "throttle delay". Due to the sloppy shifter, you're not grinding going 1-2 because of the synchros, you're grinding because the lateral slop in the shifter is causing you to miss the gear.

The 1-2 is the longest shift. Now if you were having a grind from 3-4, I'd suspect a synchro problem. But what I see is most people when shifting 1-2 pull the shifter toward them-- it's a natural motion, it's where your arm wants to go. Consciously try to pull the shifter straight back.

I'm not trying to discount your experiences-- I'm just saying that I've never experienced the problem, and I have a good amount of miles on the car. That, and solutions to problems tend to be the simplest ones. When a candle goes out, don't immediately assume a defective candle. A breeze is a much more likely culprit. Knowhutimean?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have actually found if I make sure that the shifter is running along the left side the whole time, the grind is less prominent. When I try and go straight back, it gets all "crunchy" again.

What would you do to fix this? Those bushings?

-Eric

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The cage has a good amount of slop in it. In some cases (particularly in 1st release tCs that don't have the 2 metal retaining clips on the shifter retaining ring) I've seen slop in the shifter pivot as well. I recommend the bushings-- they're cheap, relatively easy to install, and show immediate improvement.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yea, one of my rings snapped of my shifter and I have never been able to find it. Mybe I should try and find it... and which bushings would you recommend?

-Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes!!!! Buderic understand exactly what I mean. Thank you!! So it seems that some people have no problem with the transmission. Eddnog, you have never, ever felt an ever so slight "crunch" or "grind" through the shifter when shifting from 1st to 2nd when it is cold?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by buderic@Dec 22 2006, 05:52 PM
Yea, one of my rings snapped of my shifter and I have never been able to find it. Mybe I should try and find it... and which bushings would you recommend?

-Eric
Well obviously I'd recommend mine, but you can go with NST or TWM just as well.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You make bushings? I never knew that lol. How much do they normall cost? I may be buying one to see if this helps at all.

Do you think if I found that clip it would help any?

-Eric

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by arrogantbias@Dec 22 2006, 11:20 PM
Yes!!!! Buderic understand exactly what I mean. Thank you!! So it seems that some people have no problem with the transmission. Eddnog, you have never, ever felt an ever so slight "crunch" or "grind" through the shifter when shifting from 1st to 2nd when it is cold?
I got it maybe 6 or 7 times and it didn't have to be cold. It has happened both, summer and winter, and here in NY, those are two extreme differences.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It has happened in both for me too. I live in Indiana and we also have very different weather conditions also so I know what you mean lol.

-Eric

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by buderic@Dec 23 2006, 06:48 AM
You make bushings? I never knew that lol. How much do they normall cost? I may be buying one to see if this helps at all.

Do you think if I found that clip it would help any?

-Eric
I have Doc Iso's bushings on my car; single biggest change in shifter feel, and I've just about changed everything.

-Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes i do know wat u guys are talkin about when u switch from 1st to 2nd it has a little grindin feelin especially when its cool in da mornin but i frigured out dat in my tc if u rev match and you dont push down fully on da clutch and ur lite on it dat you can by pass dat but just between 1st and 2nd

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by johnnys07tc@Dec 24 2006, 04:01 PM
yes i do know wat u guys are talkin about when u switch from 1st to 2nd it has a little grindin feelin especially when its cool in da mornin but i frigured out dat in my tc if u rev match and you dont push down fully on da clutch and ur lite on it dat you can by pass dat but just between 1st and 2nd
That's pretty much how I shift nowadays; it's a lot quicker and smoother, and all it takes is lots of practice. Proper revmatching is a great technique to have and it benefits both, performance and longevity of your equipment.

-Ed

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
My synchros probably hate me after all the pounding threw the gears i have done and they dont grind in any other gear bu 5th but thats my own fault.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 28,000 miles and have no grinding issues whatsoever to speak of except for when I blatantly mess up. I have been driving stick for quite a few years though. My car is an 05. My entire driveline is stock so I think I would have to agree with it being loose or sloppy shift mechanisms. I don't think that a car that fresh would have synchro problems unless it was run out of trans oil. I do think that I got a particularly well put together tc though as I've only had a few tiny little complaints compared to what others have experienced. I guess I got luck on my side.

Reactions: dirtysnowball193
1 - 20 of 35 Posts