Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my TC has been in the shop for about a week and half now, as they're rebuilding the tranny due to chipped synchros for 3rd and 5th as well as a bad bearing (? i didn't get details on this).

The car was occassionally grinding going into 4rd, and would have a strange rough sound and feel really notchy going into 5th, so I decided to bring it in. Took a ride w/ the tech, who at first thought I just wasn't getting the clutch in all the way, but then he started having the grinding problems himself.

Anyway, it's been at the dealer since the 19th, mainly due to backordered parts. They said most of the parts came in now, but the tech team that was working on my car has the weekend off so it won't be done until Monday or Tuesday...

Oh well...grrr...I miss my car. The corolla loaner they gave me is fine--not as boring as I was expecting, and actually is a decent car for commuting--but I really miss my car right now. Good thing I brought it in under warranty, eh?

Comments?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had my transmission replaced for grinds going from 1st -> 2nd when it was cold out. And yes, I know all about back ordered parts. I had this diagnosed in September, and I got my new transmission in Dec. Took them 1 full day to get it done. No grinds anymore. <3 the warranty.

Btw, corollas are necessary. Who else would we blow by in our tC's? hehe.

I hope your car is back to norm when you pick it up

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 40k miles on my car right now...

Yeah, I'm wondering why they didn't just replace the whole tranny?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
humph... I dunno...i'm assuming that it's not really my fault since it's covered under warranty...

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
If i went to the dealer and complained about grinding..do you think they woudl blame it on my short shifter?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, got the car back today (finally! It's been 2 weeks due to backordered parts).

Shifting is much mo' better now...no notchiness, no grinding (so far at least).

Problem is now that the steering wheel is way off center and there's a ding in the driver's rear quarter panel!

I picked the car up late today so I have to bring it back in the morning--they said they'd fix the steering wheel, but that I'd have to talk to the service advisor about the ding. Humph...do you think I'll have any luck w/ that? They didn't do the walk around when I dropped off the car...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I noticed a ding on the drivers door when I got the car back from the service last night. Did not see it till I got home, though, so not much of chance to make them fix it.

Waiting for the ETA on the backordered tranny parts before I can drop the car off again... WTF is with these backorders? The car was out for 1.5 years - about time the parts caught up...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zoltiz, what's up w/ your tranny?
Maybe there've been quite a few instances of tranny's grinding gears...Yeah I waited 2 weeks for the backordered synchros and related parts to come in!

Reactions: dirtysnowball193

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by lyrictenor1@Feb 1 2006, 01:52 PM
Zoltiz, what's up w/ your tranny?
Maybe there've been quite a few instances of tranny's grinding gears...Yeah I waited 2 weeks for the backordered synchros and related parts to come in!
Squeaky clutch pedal - just an excuse to get them to tear up the tranny and put in my new flywheel and kevlar clutch.

I should know the ETA on backordered stuff pretty soon. Hate waiting anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My transmission makes a noticeable "chunk" sound going from 1st to 2nd, but only between those 2 gears. I thought I read another post saying this is fairly "normal" and nothing to be alarmed about. Also, my car has recently started making a slight whining noise when I'm off throttle around 3K rpm, and also when I'm in a parking lot in 1st, and push the clutch in. None of these things are very pronounced, but things I notice as someone who is very detail oriented about my car. Does this sound like it needs a check up, or am I paranoid? Car has 5,500 miles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
buggravy.... the same thing is happening with my shifting and even noticed the little "whistle" that comes in only at 3k rpms. Having some issues resistance into 3rd too. Only when its really cold it makes a loud hard "chunk" into 2nd. I know what grinding sounds like but this can't be right. No matter what temp. outside it is, 4th & 5th slip in like butter.

I have one question for anyone with a 5 spd.... Does your shifter move back a little (towards neutral) when you engage the throttle only in 5th gear? I can actually see it move a little if I take my foot off and on the gas. Can feel it more then anything when my hand is on the knob. These things are the only things that are warring the hell out of me. Either way I'm taking my car in Friday.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Shifter movement under torque is pretty normal for any gearbox, but especially cable shifters like the tC has.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the dealership wouldn't fess up to causing the damage. Actually when the car was returned to me today (to fix the now uncentered steering wheel--that's another story..see below), I noticed another ding just behind the passenger door, towards the bottom....grrrr..

Anyway, I spoke w/ the customer relations manager at the dealership (Toyota of Long Beach) and she said that the service advisor said that there's no way that they could've put the first ding in there (the one on the rear quarter panel) b/c they never worked on that area of the car. Total BS. The car either sat on their lot or in the garage for two weeks! It is entirely possible that when moving another adjacent car that a door dinged it, or that a tech walking by the car might've accidently caused it. Scion corp knows about this and said they'd get back to me...

As I said in an earler post, the steering wheel was way off center when I got the car back the other day. I brought it back in, and they said that they re-aligned the toe and the steering wheel, even though they didn't touch those parts of the car. Okay--I don't think they had to touch the toe, but I read the repair manual re: transmission overhaul (they did need to remove the transmission in order to build it), and yes they do need to dissasemble some parts of the steering system. Heck, it even says in the re-assembly instructions to make sure that the steering wheel is centered! Anyway, I'm thinking they're their BS-ing me. They returned the car, steering wheel somewhat better, but now still not centered--it's off to the left side now when tracking straight.

I'm beginning to think that the tech doesn't know what he's doing. I don't want to bring it back there b/c I don't like the people their--they're generally rude...I want to take it to another dealer--will they fix this since my understanding is that dealer repairs can be warranted at any other toyota dealer?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I would have to agree. There's no need to disconnect the steering at all. I've done five gearbox drops now, and I have not disconnected the steering on one of them. I now don't even need to drop the subframe at all.

Center steering is a standard for alignment. If the steering is off center while driving straight, it is wrong, and no decent alignment shop will send a customer car out the door with the wheel NOT pointed straight while the car is going straight. You're getting the run around, and your dealership doesn't want to do all the work they need to do to fix this guy's screw up.

He probably spent more than the book time to do the gearbox work anyway, and they're losing their asses on the deal, so they just want you to shut up and color.

Keep complaining. It's not right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem is, that I think they have it in for me over there, especiallly since I've already called corporate on their asses twice, and they know it (they heard from corp as soon as I dropped off my car for not giving me a rental right away). Anyway, it seems like everytime I've dropped the car off, it comes back w/ another ding. While I do know that I'm paranoid by nature, I can't but help that they may be doing this intentionally, w/ no way for me to prove to them that the dings are their fault. GRRRR..

I just had the car aligned about 5k miles ago too, and it was fine until I brought it in to the dealer. Do you think I can get another dealer to right it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.